DHS bans laptops in the cabins of flights from 10 airports

So I guess flights from other countries couldn’t possibly be carrying terrorists…?

Remind me again which airports the 9/11 hijackers departed from?

14 Likes

That’s hot.

4 Likes

the US agencies have experience with this, some upscaling is required to do this for all flights

11 Likes
5 Likes

Couldn’t agree more. Airport security has more to do with keeping people flying than it does actually providing security.

Kabuki.

7 Likes

I find this analysis very intriguing.

Follow the money, Lebowski.

23 Likes

Amazing they put the American flag up there, as if that picture is something Americans should be proud of rather than horrified by… :rolling_eyes:

12 Likes

Exactly. The ban is way too surgical to be part of any true security measure. The WaPo report makes a good argument that fits 45’s modus operandi. Why the UK is following suit is a good question. Unless they are being manipulated by US.

Coincidence?:

8 Likes

The U.S. only manipulates the Blairite Labour party to be awful and stupid. The Tories are perfectly capable of being awful and stupid on their own initiative.

8 Likes

See, this is what Trumo’s travel ban was all about - they had intelligence indicating threats from the countries on the lis… wait a minute!

1 Like

Oh come now…
US spying bases, US military bases under US law, an extradition treaty which says any UK citizen can be extradited to the US without any evidence whatsoever…and you’re suggesting that the UK might be manipulated by the US?

7 Likes

The phrase used by the article, “weaponizing interdependence”, makes perfect sense as the new slogan for the trump administration.

7 Likes

Well, if electronic devices aren’t allowed, better bring a good book to read.

5 Likes

When I’ve flown internationally I’ve often had separate (additional) checkpoints within the secured area of the airport for US bound flights.

4 Likes

Is that for the US customs entry stuff done overseas (like in, say, Dublin?)

Nope these weren’t immigration checkpoints. They were run by DHSTSA and they were literally a secondary checkpoint near the gate. Bags rescanned, had to toss my water, and so on.

ETA these weren’t fly by night airports in places like East Terrorstan, this was in Amsterdam, Tokyo, and Shanghai.

8 Likes

I’ll solve your confusion:

– Are you a good world citizen flying a US carrier? Then do as the trustworthy TSA person says, and carry your laptop.

– Are you flying one of those brown people airlines that isn’t US based? Are you somehow not affected by the travel bans? We’ll do even more to confuse you and put in Catch-22 rules to deter and otherwise have an excuse to pull you aside. Now do your part and either fly US carriers from other countries, or make sure US carriers start doing more business in these airports so that we don’t have to do this sort of thing anymore.

Follow the $.

7 Likes

Do not worry about our arbitrary and capricious rules, traveler. They are there to make you compli… umm, safer.

3 Likes

Screw it, I’m driving.

5 Likes

I wonder if tourism income from overseas travelers is down yet. Wouldn’t shock me but … the strength of the dollar will drive things far more than the presidency. I just know that if I were a foreigner, even if the dollar were very weak, there’d be no way in hell I’d be visiting the US. Plenty of other nice places in the world to visit.

7 Likes