DHS bans laptops in the cabins of flights from 10 airports

After the way Obama went on holiday with Richard Branson, I’m wondering how long before the discrimination starts against Virgin.

2 Likes

It is amusing, though, that the ban affects travellers from countries that have actually sent us terrorists (e.g. Saudi Arabia), unlike the Muslim Ban countries.

7 Likes

Remember when the Bush administration used to change the threat level from orange to red when they wanted to distract and change the conversation? Good times.

9 Likes

Well, since you asked:

13 Likes

I think you hit the nail on the head: the trouble is, the people doing such shit ARE proud of this sort of thing.

4 Likes

I was thinking that ICAO regs (IATA guidelines) banned Lithium ion batteries in checked baggage, but you can have them in checked baggage as long as they are installed in a device.
IATA - Passenger Corner

2 Likes

Unfettered access to your laptop after you’ve checked it?

7 Likes

Yes. Either by TSA or those fine, upstanding Baggage handlers.

Or Both.

6 Likes
1 Like

in b4 reminding them that the batteries themselves can be made to blow up so ALL electronics are theoretically bombs.

3 Likes

so this will hurt the airlines? Wonder if that would make them kick the TSA to curb at the airports then (hoping!)

That’s pretty much the whole point of the TSA. They haven’t done crap to keep the country safe.

I have a friend who lives in Londonr. If she asked to visit the US, I would tell her not to bother. The way things are going, the Cheeto supporters would go after her because she’s not from the US.

Yay?

I’m pretty sure they would be proud of throwing their shit on the wall.

1 Like

Oblig XKCD

11 Likes

Funny how this part was missing from the TSA explanation:

“When President Trump meets with the top CEOs in the US aviation industry on Thursday, one issue will surely be a divisive force in the room: what to do about Emirates, Etihad, and Qatar Airways.”

(from a Feb 9th article: http://www.businessinsider.my/trump-airline-ceo-meeting-2017-2)

This is more than terror theatre (though it’s that too). It’s a deliberate boost for all the US airlines that are still able to allow passengers to keep using said devices.

10 Likes
5 Likes

Perhaps it’s easier for them to surreptitiously copy the hard drive if you let it out of your sight for a couple hours before or after the flight?

8 Likes

That was my first thought.

3 Likes

I hear they’re hiring baggage handlers

5 Likes

3 Likes

The argument is powerful, but:

1. it basically stops any US airline to ever expand to Arab countries. Yes, it might damage their Arab counterparts, but it doesn’t strengthen US airlines one bit. If this really is weaponization, it’s desperate rearguard action, not sustainable in the long run.

2. The UK following suit makes no sense from this perspective, since it affects plenty of British carriers, tour operators and the likes.

3. US airlines might make little business with the Arab world, but plenty of other US people do - especially in that “oil” thingie. A lot of People With Money will be pissed off, not all of them have a private Gulfstream.

I’m personally in the “easier to spy” camp. Intercepting bags behind the scene is so much easier and invisible than trying to do it at the security checkpoint. IMHO it feels like, after achieving tactical superiority on the internet, they are going after sneakernet.

4 Likes

As little confidence as I have in the current administration I have to think this is related to a specific security threat. It’s also worth pointing out that the difference between having a laptop on a plane vs in the cargo hold is that a small amount of explosive that might be difficult to detect in the belly of a plane may have little chance of doing significant damage, but if several people carried small amounts in to a plane and then assembled a bomb there, that could do a lot of damage.

All this “it’s all security theater” talk is not productive. There are real threats out there and some measures must be taken to prevent attacks.