Dialect coach teaches you 12 different accents

@zathras - Peperl, a bisserl an Schmäh paßt scho…

1 Like

Well, you know what they say, one man’s couch is another man’s sofa. Just don’t panic.

3 Likes

This is as good a topic as any, I suppose…

Can anyone tell me what kind of accent Benedict Cumberbatch was supposed to have as Doctor Strange?

It bugged me throughout the whole movie, as I could tell that it was supposed to be some kind of American accent, but it didn’t resemble any I’d actually heard.

1 Like

Is this a quiz? How many accents can I say “Free Bedbugs” in?

2 Likes
5 Likes

Obviously, the midatlantic accent is only spoken by the English-speaking minority in the Lost City of Atlantis.
(Haven’t heard it called “transatlantic” before - doesn’t “transatlantic” usually refer to the other side of the Atlantic)

Here in the US, Mid-Atlantic is the region between New York City and Washington DC.

Interesting. Geography is confusing. And here I thought that the Mid-Atlantic Ridge is mostly underwater and only passes through Iceland…

But apparently, the artificial accent really has both names:

1 Like

Or develop a mystery itchy rash after sitting on it once

2 Likes

It’s a cool project, but a lot of these are way off.

As a Scot, it also annoys me when people take the time to differentiate between different English or American accents but don’t recognise that there are drastically different Scottish accents - Glasgow / West, Edinburgh, Fife and Dundee, Aberdeen, Islands, Highlands, Borders and Shetland, for example. Here, she just reduced all Scottish accents to a kind of generic collection of vaguely Scottish sounds that I’ve never heard any Scottish person combine in one accent.

The same applies to Ireland - there’s not one generic accent.

2 Likes

If it makes you feel better, that’s what she did with the rest of the accents as well.

1 Like

This is true for any given country regardless of language spoken. Was raised in Venezuela and there’s quite a wide variety of regional accents and words there. And while the US may have an almost homogeneous accent there’s still a good number of regional dialects, even “southern” accent glosses over some differences between states/regions.

Would be fascinating to see a good breakdown of sottish accents though, i’m always up for learning interesting things of that sort.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.