Dialect coach teaches you 12 different accents

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/04/07/dialect-couch-teaches-you-12-d.html

1 Like

Oh, dialect coach.

14 Likes

25 Likes

yeah, I was totally disappointed when I clicked through…

10 Likes

sofa, divan, settee, love seat, chesterfield, daybed, davenport, studio couch

15 Likes

I often look to couches to teach me many things.

Also…that has to be one of the most unflattering opening frame’s ever. man-alive someone correct that for her!!!

8 Likes

No, no. That’s a derelict couch. Totally different thing!

(D’ya think Mark will catch on and fix the headline? One hopes not…)

19 Likes

14 Likes

I love all of you magnificent people who have turned this into something far better than I had ever dreamed.

13 Likes

Divan, settee, chesterfield, and davenport are all very old-school.

Dialect, plus language variation across age groups.

6 Likes

I was expecting a show where someone sits on a couch and talks about dialects.

5 Likes

I wasn’t sure of what to expect before reading, but the actual story was less interesting than all of the things I imagined.

4 Likes

Dialects depend on how the lips move.

11 Likes

It’s a sleeping dictionary!

4 Likes

YouTube is b0rked for me right now, but I’ll watch later.

The phrase “transatlantic accent” is a big red flag for me, though. It’s an acquired, theatrical accent, and it really hasn’t been a thing since Cary Grant.

3 Likes

Chesterfield is not at all unusual up here, although it may be older (my) generation. It was definitely the normal thing to call a sofa when I was a young man, and it is still easily understood even now.

3 Likes

I’m just gonna sit here quietly and listen to the cushions.

6 Likes

I’m familiar with all those terms, but haven’t heard any of them in at least 20 years. So, if someone mentions a settee, divan, chesterfield, or davenport, I’ll understand what they’re saying, but it’s not a word I would use out of all the words available to me. Someone Millennial or younger wouldn’t have a clue.

2 Likes

I’m convinced I would have been more into sports if we had had Basketball couches. Still. Love the accents.

3 Likes

Difference in dialects, I think. I don’t lose younger people hereabouts if I use the term, although they’re not so likely to use it themselves.

3 Likes