Dialect quiz tracks down where you grew up

I took it as well. What’s interesting is I’m of Irish descent on both sides of the family, and the British test clearly could tell I was from Ireland, though it was a weak enough result that it knew I wasn’t a native. There must still be lingering words and phrases in my home area that come from the large influx of Irish in the 19th century.

4 Likes

This nailed my Dublin origins exactly, same with a couple of friends who also took it (as Dublin and the midlands respectively).

2 Likes

Nailed it for me.

3 Likes

US version got me exactly. Apparently people in my area are the only ones to call it a “frontage road”.

4 Likes

I wonder if that’s why it misplaced me in the California central valley, despite never having lived there. My father grew up in Southern California, my mother in Northern California. So perhaps my word usage met in the middle of the state…

2 Likes

It got me reasonably closely. I mostly grew up in northern Alabama, but did spend a few years in central Alabama and Virginia. It puts me in central Alabama, though a bit east of where I actually lived. Having been in the desert southwest for more than 25 years has probably distorted the results, though I admittedly un-did one change I’ve made since moving here (coke -> soda).

1 Like

There were three things that pushed it closer to Philly for me - what we call a sandwich served on a long roll, the night before Hallowe’en, and what we wear on our feet in a gym.

1 Like

It came back for me with 3 cities, all in Missouri. St Louis, Springfield, and Kansas City. KC is the correct one. And it didn’t even ask how to pronounce “wash”. I didn’t discover that our local pronunciation of “warsh” was odd until I went away to college. Of course, people from St Louis pronounce “fork” as “fark”, which we Kansas City folks consider quite odd.

3 Likes

That sometimes crops up in the Midwest as well. A now-long-gone example from Marseilles, IL (mar-SALES), which I snapped in 1992:

6 Likes

Good one!

Also, Missouri has a Versailles pronounced Ver-SALES.

3 Likes

My mother has spent her entire life in Oregon and yet says “warsh”. Not sure how she picked that up. I haven’t ever noticed her adding the r to similar words.

2 Likes

It pretty much nailed my point of origin. “Sneakers” did me in.

2 Likes

Wow, that’s eerie. Test correctly concluded I grew up in prison.

4 Likes

As noted elsewhere, this quiz got me absolutely spot on. Its top two suggestions for my location were where I Live now, and where I grew up.

As for the American Dialect quiz, I remember we did that here before, and it had me coming out as either Californian or Hawaiian.

1 Like

Navy kid.

1-4 Spokane, Washington
4-5 Seattle, Washington
5-6 Houston, Texas
7-18 Salem, Oregon
18-28, Eugene, Oregon
28-33 Portland, Oregon
33-now Seattle, Washington.

Led to:

2 Likes

Denver???

3 Likes

Mine Identified the city I was born in and a town where I lived for several years. I did pick some words I knew were local, though, even if I don’t use all of them.

2 Likes

Well, she was close to Warshinton.

Basic Instructions

Despite my father coming from there and me living there for two decades, I’m guessing the fact that I don’t drink “melk” disqualified me from being at all Californian.

5 Likes

Or anywhere people read the signs that say “Frontage Road.”

2 Likes

There’s a great app that does this for German dialects called “Grüezi, Moin, Servus”. (Unfortunately, it seems as if it was pulled from the Google Play Store so I can only provide a link to the iOS version.)

It was quite accurate in identifying the region I grew up in and also recognized that my idiosyncratic dialect is a conglomerate of those spoken in my home town, my parents’ home town (which is a neighbouring town!) and the city I live in now (~100 km from my home town). Those are very subtle differences but it picked up on many of them.

2 Likes