Dialect quiz tracks down where you grew up

US version totally failed. By a couple of thousand miles.

1 Like

Hmmm I need to listen for how she says Washington. It would make sense for her to add an R but i’m honestly not sure how she says it.

In high school my math teacher went to some conference back east. Came back with a story of being broken up into small groups to work on some project. Another guy in his group kept saying or-eh-gone. He corrected him once. When they guy didn’t catch on he started mocking the guy by mispronouncing someplace near where this other guy was from. The other guy took offense and tried to punch him. To be fair my teacher was the type of smart ass that made a lot of people want to punch him.

2 Likes

dead wrong. On the basis of kitty-corner it decided i was from Milwaukee

2 Likes

I was raised calling the strip of grass between the curb and sidewalk a “boulevard” which had a few trees plotted along its length.

1 Like

Somehow it correctly determined I’m from the North Bay. How did that happen? I’ve never noticed regional speech within the Bay Area.

3 Likes

Nailed me! Philadelphia area. lol…

2 Likes

The UK when was pretty accurate based on what we called tag and giving a ride to a passenger on the back of a bicycle. I’ve lived in the the US for many years both in the bay area, the east coast and currently Pittsburgh. Although I knew some of the Pittsburgh “answers” I didn’t know enough for it to pin me to the place. As noted by others many of the pronunciations that are specific to certain areas of the US are all used in my area of the UK. Someone form a different part of the UK will find the same thing but with different pronunciations :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The American one got me good:

The “devil’s night” question was the one that nailed my Detroit origins; it chose Grand Rapids because of my “drinking fountain” answer, though I also use “water fountain,” and the Toledo point cited the “cot/caught” answer.

The UK version gave the answer, “you’re not from around here.” As an Anglophile, I recognized a lot of the words used, but I don’t use them in conversation. My hot areas in that map were Wales, Bath, Killarney, and Galway.

3 Likes

Mine looks pretty similar, which was disappointing (I have a weird accent that southerners think sound northern, and northerners think sounds southern. navy brat). Slightly disappointed they missed my favourite shibboleth though - what number comes next, yan tan …

2 Likes

Ha! Born in Hexham, Geordie mother and dad’s from Kent… I scored 50% Kent and 50% Newcastle on the U.K. map… too funny… but I grew up in Canada and the U.S. version maps me as mostly Detroit, hard up against the border with their Canadian cousins, with a touch of New York City.

Now, I wonder if you could do this globally. Toronto and environs would be an interesting one to pick apart.

2 Likes

“Bubbler” is common around the Milwaukee area. You call it that in Madison, and people will look at you like you’re from Mars.

The US test failed hard for me - claims I grew up everywhere that isn’t the Bible Belt. Mostly on the drive-through liquor question. Sorry, never heard of such a thing until I moved to Michigan, then they were shut down shortly thereafter.

3 Likes

The UK one was right, it said I wasn’t from there. The US gave the most likely area of upper right. I have no idea what states there are there though.

Waiting for the Aussie one.

I got Buffalo as well, which is kind of weird because I grew up mostly in Dubuque, Iowa. Maybe it’s because I retained some New Hampshire words that were common in my family, and the intervening years living overseas.

2 Likes

I think a few things throw off the results; if your parents are from different places, and you grew up in yet a different place, you might have 3 different, interchangeable words or pronunciations for things. And,as you say, and like a number of other of commenters found, moving around confuses the results.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.