Dianne Feinstein has lost the California Democrats' Senate-race endorsement to a left-wing insurgent long-shot

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/07/15/die-di-fi-die.html

12 Likes

All I can say is “wow.” This endorsement is a BFD, worth millions of dollars in publicity and an indication that the state party is starting to realise that the priorities of Millenial voters are just as if not more important than Boomers. If he manages to beat Feinstein in November it effectively means that a member of the Sanders wing of the Dems will be the Senator representing the 5th largest economy on the planet.

44 Likes

Holy shit! Are they finally going to get rid of Feinstein?

17 Likes

Piss off Feinstein

13 Likes

17 Likes

kimmy-schmidt-fingers-crossed

18 Likes

She’s still running as a Dem in November. She got 44% of the votes in the open primary while de Leon got 12% and she has a lot of money from big donors. So it’s not going to be easy, but this endorsement obviously scared the bejeezus out of her.

26 Likes

Too soon?

7 Likes

Keep it in the back pocket.

Gawd I hope she gets the boot in November.

13 Likes

Three words Diane, Re Tire R.

7 Likes

far-right Democrat Dianne Feinstein…

I’m old enough to remember when words had meanings.

13 Likes

Well I don’t live in CA, but really dislike Ms Feinstein.

6 Likes

He’s not that much of a long shot IMO. De Leon has moved up the ranks quickly, but for four years he has been the President Pro Tempore, the most powerful position, of the California State Senate. He’s pretty left but he’s inserted himself firmly in the CA Democratic establishment. I don’t know if I’d say he’s “Bernie” left, but he is at the vanguard of a new left-of-mainstream Democratic generation in California.

I suspect for the mainstream Dems it was more about, she’s 85 now. I don’t think there’s any argument that she’s still sharp as a tack, but the party is ready for new blood. De Leon is about the same age as our other new Senator, Kamala Harris.

Jimmy Gomez, also well worth watching, is an assembly member representing the same neighborhoods as De Leon.

16 Likes

I think you’re right about all the points. But, as someone else here pointed out, she did get 4x the votes he got in the primary. It’ll be an uphill battle for him in the election.

2 Likes

I take it that the endorsement has no chance of sending anyone but a democrat to the Senate?

3 Likes

Saw the Honorable Ms. Feinstein walking down the hall yesterday and OMG…she almost needs a WHEELCHAIR She is 85 years old and this is a SIX-YEAR SENEATE SEAT. With all due respect, she should withdraw.

6 Likes

Ocasio-Cortez shows you shouldn’t rely on the big-money old guard to always win. When it’s time for a change, don’t try to hold back the tide.

7 Likes

#Ocasio-Cortez2024

8 Likes

I’m a little confused. The endorsement doesn’t “send” anyone to the Senate. Only the voters send anyone to the Senate. Also, the endorsement was by the California Democratic party, so they’re going to endorse a Democrat. Also also, since the top two finishers of the primary were Democrats, CA will have a Democratic senator. If you want to vote for a Republican, there’s the rather hapless Cox running for Governor.

5 Likes

Not to accuse a political party of being “political” (god forbid), but the CA Dems may be hoping to get voters excited about the election to get people off their collective asses and vote. Whether Feinstein or de Leon win, they have a Democratic senator, so I don’t think the party cares all that much. They might as well use the endorsement to get people listening and talking. Good for them. And who knows! de Leon may win!

6 Likes