Dictionary.com now offers definitions for emoji

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/03/07/dictionary-com-now-offers-defi.html

Sad face.

I thought eggplant-as-penis was based on a Japanese pun. Has it made its way into the English-speaking internet?

Definitely widely known in Britain if I can trust my pirated youtube panel shows.

But honestly, that sounds like teenage slang I shouldn’t be using one way or another.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Language changes, I’m afraid. Nothing wrong with defining it when it does.

Not sure what the right emoji response is to that, but it caused me to make my IRL tilted-head-like-a-curious-dog face.

Note: I’m 31 but older at heart and frequently can’t figure out what emotion or sentiment the emoji face options on my phone are even trying to convey.

I think you sometimes miss the irony in my posts. Then again, I have this problem with people IRL as well.

Some better ones might be:

(╯°Д°)╯︵ ┻━┻
(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

The table flip thing isn’t as common on the English-speaking internet. Indeed, I got it from a Japanese friend of mine who was reared on 2ch (off which 4chan was patterned).

Fair enough I guess.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.