:) and :D

These are clearly different kinds of smiley. :) has a closed mouth and :D has an open mouth. They should not both use the :smiley: image. Iā€™m smiling to be friendly. Iā€™m not that happy.

1 Like

I am. :slight_smile: :smiley:

Ooh. They are different.

See also

:smile: :laughing: :blush: :smiley: :relaxed: :smirk: :heart_eyes: :kissing_heart: :kissing_closed_eyes: :flushed: :relieved: :satisfied: :grin: :wink: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: :grinning: :kissing: :kissing_smiling_eyes: :stuck_out_tongue: :sleeping: :worried: :frowning: :anguished::open_mouth::grimacing: :confused: :hushed: :expressionless: :unamused: :sweat_smile: :sweat: :disappointed_relieved: :weary: :pensive: :disappointed: :confounded: :fearful: :cold_sweat: :persevere: :cry: :sob: :joy: :astonished: :scream: :tired_face: :angry: :rage: :triumph: :sleepy: :yum: :mask: :sunglasses: :dizzy_face: :imp: :smiling_imp: :neutral_face: :no_mouth: :innocent:

Thatā€™s just the faces. Mouseover and hover for the :string:

4 Likes

:weary:

2 Likes

: |

Call me a crusty gen-Xer, but I prefer em oldskool.

Although when Iā€™m really stoked I might reach for a dancing banana gifā€¦

Oldā€™s cool.

3 Likes

:banana: ā† :eyes:

2 Likes

Dude, thatā€™s just a plain old banana.

Doesnā€™t quite say the same as

4 Likes

:neckbeard: <ā€“EMOji

Har!

1 Like

OK fine!

2 Likes

Umā€¦

ā€¦fine?

:water_buffalo: :poop: could come in very handy.

2 Likes

Knew there was an appropriate thread for this.

Whereā€™s my :metal: emoji-thingy gone then?

Can someone check down the back of @codinghorrorā€™s sofa and see if itā€™s there? I hadnā€™t finished using it.

2 Likes

Well there is now an emoji menu if you click or tap the face icon in the editor toolbar. Give it a try. Only the official emoji sets are supported (either Twitter, Apple, Emoji One, or Google), but custom site level emoji are coming soon courtesy of @zogstripā€™s hard work.

So if you ever wanted the Boing Boing specific ā€œChrist, what an assholeā€ emoji, perhaps @beschizza et al can bless one in the coming month!

4 Likes

Iā€™ll mourn the death of my horns and revert to \m/ in itā€™s place if it means we can have a
:church: :question: :a: W :anchor: instead.

(Like the drop-down menu thing too. Neat and convenient. )

2 Likes

The smiley menu is much appreciated, thank you. However, the icon:

still represents a smiley that doesnā€™t exist in the list of emoticonsā€¦ :unamused:

I donā€™t know why this bothers me so much! Maybe cause Iā€™ve used text smileys almost as punctuation for my entire adult life and now these little yellow mans are here and not expressing my emotion the way I intend.

I mean look at these smug little shits:

:smile: :smiley: :grinning:

Close your stupid mouths! I hate you!

Google somehow manages to get it right:

Come to think of it, is there a button I can press that just turns off the auto-substitution? Or does that happen down the line somewhere?

8 Likes

OK so apparently I have nothing better to do today. Here:

Thatā€™s using elements from the standard set of emoticons, in the same format/resolution/etc. Please use it with my blessing.

Yeah oddly enough that is how emoji work. See for yourself.

1 Like

Ugh. So itā€™s me vs a fucking standards committee? Thanks a lot, Corporate Overlords. :cool:

4 Likes

Iā€™ve discovered that :weary: doubles as orgasm-face. As does :tired_face:.

2 Likes

I just noticed that, as you pointed out, Android/Google is the outlier there on :smiley:.

It is too bad because their Emoji are pretty great except I just cannot get used to those non-circular gumdrop faces. I think they were trying to evoke Android mascot a bit and it just feels forced.

2 Likes