Reactions! ❤ 👍 😆 😮 🤔 🤗 👏 🎊 🤬 😭

Hello!

Likes. Mutants love likes. Many mutants have many likes. Likes are great!

But… does it feel weird to “like” a post about a celebrity passing away? How about using a like to express shock or anger at some not-so-wonderful thing that’s happened?

It does to me!

Also, what if you think something is hilarious? Or want to celebrate more with a mutant? Or even just hug them?

Now you can! If you hover over the heart icon on desktop, or long-press on mobile, you can now choose a reaction.

Likes are still likes. But now they can be more, too. Enjoy!

11 Likes

Excellent!

I like expressive ‘Likes’. :+1:

10 Likes

Me gusta! How do the new emojis operate in terms of Discourse Trust Levels and other functionality where Likes play a part? Are they all counted as heart Likes (including angryman)?

ETA: based on this from Discourse I assume that they’re all the same Like underneath:

This plugin will work as an add-on to the likes feature, anytime you want to remove the plugin, all likes will be preserved.

7 Likes

I have concerns that the “anger” emoji could be used as a “pile on” for unpopular people or opinions, and could, in its own way, foster more negative dialogue. I believe that people will see the anger emoji and respond anrgily on their own.

Right now the absence of a “like” is its own statement, and I think serves to express a certain feeling. An “anger” is something different, and conveys a strong negative emotion about something. It may become a routine way to “dislike.”

The remainder are silly, and I fully support silliness in all its formats.

11 Likes

And now @Tamsin_Bailey is claiming I have the clap.

ETA: Oh, wait. Maybe not. These are difficult to parse.

9 Likes

No poop emoji or unicorn?

3 Likes

How can I tell what the reaction was? In Chrome for Android it seems to be just showing up as an alert that says en. notifications.reaction in the alert, and when I go to look at it it just shows the heart icon, with the everyone listed

ETA: I have browser notifications and email notifications turned off, because I don’t need 100 notifications a day…

5 Likes

The poop emoji is his now.

He has earned it

5 Likes

Hmm, I’m in iOS and I’m not seeing any new like options. Am I doing it wrong? Or is my trust level not high enough anymore?

6 Likes

Just checked there and I don’t see them either.

4 Likes

I only seem to have the option to “Heart” as well. Perhaps toxic masculinity has denied us access to other emotions?

ETA:In the notifications menu the two hearts that I just received for the above post show up as a bell icon, rather than a heart, but otherwise I can’t tell what’s going on

8 Likes

We shall see. The world has taught us that downvoting is bad, but there are far too many stories about not-so-wonderful things that, frankly, no “upvote” makes sense for. They are things to be angry about!

7 Likes

My reaction to reactions is…
Phewww!
I had just seen them and thought:
“How dumb am I that did not notice this for years!”
Turns out my brains are old and scrambled, but not too much.

9 Likes

On mobile you have to long-press on the heart, then the menu will appear.

3 Likes

If that were the case, the heart would go away altogether and we’d have a big red pill for rage. Is there an emoji for butthurt? We’d have that too.

7 Likes

Ah! Got it. Thank you!

4 Likes

I agree. Too much potential for user confusion about angryman’s function. Maybe swap it out for another emoji (like swearyman).

Same sentiment but seems less the opposite of Like.

11 Likes

I see what you have done there.
Many salutes to you… what a great idea!

4 Likes

I had tried that, but on Chrome for Android all it does is highlight the heart icon but no options are provided

Screenshot_20230330_154057_Chrome

5 Likes

just kidding - was feckin about with the emojis

:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes