If you send a grimace emoji on an iPhone, it'll look like an smile on an Android

[Read the post]

If this is the :smiley: face (colon - D or : D ), then it seems that the headline is flipped. Apple is using a weird grimace smile in place of the ā€œbig cheeseā€ smile.

10 Likes

Of course, you realize that by pointing this obvious fact, youā€™ll be attacked for attacking Apple, eh.

3 Likes

Now I canā€™t unsee this emoji as Koro-sensei from Assassination Classroom.

5 Likes

Right? I use the iPhone emoji pack on Android, and the ā€œgrimaceā€ has always looked like a person who is so happy that they are straining to hold a giant smile.

2 Likes

well thatā€™s why :grimacing: exists
:grimacing: is grimace
:grin: is happiness

2 Likes

Unicode 1F601: :grin: Defined as ā€œGRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYESā€

Androidā€™s icon is clearly right.

5 Likes

Thatā€™s not a grimace.

Thatā€™s a grimace.

18 Likes

You hamburgled my heart :hamburger:

7 Likes

Thatā€™s not Grimace, either.

THIS is Grimace:

*lolz

(I had to.)

11 Likes

the reason why I hate autoreplacement of ASCII emoticons with the graphical ones.

:smiley: is not a smiley and :slight_smile: not a slight smile

8 Likes

Iā€™ve always been partial to the RBF emoji anyway.

:neutral_face:

This is definitely Appleā€™s poor artworkā€™s fault.

Grimacing Face is correctly rendered as a grimacing face on all platforms: :grimacing:

Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes, which is the actual name of the emoji in the subject of the article, is shown correctly as a grinning face on non-Apple devices, but on Apple the ā€œgrinā€ looks like a grimace, even though they thought they could put in those cutesy ā€œupside-down-uā€ eyes to make it into a grin.

That aside, even though this is All Apples Fault as usual, I hate Androidā€™s non-circular smiley faces.

Also, as another unrelated aside, my two-year-old actually makes those upside-down-u eyes when she grins, and, yes, it is actually adorable, true fact.

2 Likes

Exactly that - if I type:-) I would like those ASCII characters to come through without ambiguity.

It gets sillier - some clients interpret a single letter in brackets as an emoji of some kind. Type up a list of points (a) through (d), and you end up sending the list of points (a), (picture of a beer mug), (picture of a coffee cup), and (picture of a martini glass).

2 Likes

Another favorite source of inter-platform confusion is the ā€œblond(e)ā€ emoji :blonde_man:

ą² _ą²  ą² _ą²  ą² _ą²  ą² _ą²  ą² _ą²  ą² xą² 

1 Like

Iā€™ve yet to see :stuck_out_tongue: rendered correctly. Thereā€™s no implied smile.

2 Likes

I think that was the joke, yes.

2 Likes

Apple / Android couple breaks up due to cultural differences

5 Likes

It looks like at least four of the renderings of that emoji listed here have no smile:

I agree with not having a smile ā€“ there are at least two other faces with tongues sticking out. They donā€™t all need to be smiling.

But also, as in the original articleā€¦ boy are there a lot of different emotions in the different renderings of this one face. Googleā€™s looks sick. Microsoftā€™s is unimpressed.

3 Likes