:) and :D

I tellya, :tired_face: looks entirely too distressed. Like I just shat a literal brick.

:underage: :lips: :kiss: :tongue::banana: :point_right: :doughnut: :sweat_drops: :confounded: :zzz:

( Emoji pr0n movie. )

5 Likes

I think you were looking for

:point_right: :ok_hand:

6 Likes

It’s fetish.

5 Likes

Yeah, lame that there are no metal horns, but we do get jazz hands! :open_hands:

4 Likes

I feel like Google made the most effort to distinguish the different facial expressions (they’re also the cutest). I’m with you though, I’m not sure about the squishy shape. Although they do remind me of Slimes

Come to think of it, what the heck is going on with the “relaxed” row in that table up there? It’s a mix of smiles, blushes and “I just did a poo” faces.

and!

http://blog.getemoji.com/post/92123970905/start-using-the-unicode-7-0-emojis-today

p.s.

3 Likes

I hope we’ve all evolved to the point where using the “bird” emoji ain’t a bannable offense any more than using the three piles of shit are. (Seriously? :poop: :shit: :hankey: are poop, shit, and hankey respectively
 strikes me as a misallocation of resources!)

But yeah
 some of us richly deserve (nay, desperately need!) to be flipped off every so often. God knows I needed it just now, and now I feel ever so much better!

1 Like

Oh I see Android used to be like this

Well, the gumdrop face is a lot better than that, but still you can see the influence of where it came from.

edit: oh :poop: @EcholocateChoco look what happens in Android 5.0

And RACISM

You see deep down inside we are all yellow gumdrops.

GOD DAMN IT

NEVER MIND

:heart_eyes:

We could go back to ASCII Art. No ambiguity there-- assuming that your friends use ASCII, and not EBCDIC.

1 Like

I rather liked the MacAddict smilies. There were so many of them, all riffs on MacAddict’s Max.

Then the magazine closed down the bbs.

Any screenshots of the old ones?

Now I can’t unsee that. :grimacing:

2 Likes

Actually:

1 Like

:penguin: :camel: :minidisc: :money_with_wings: :kimono: :european_castle:

This is fun! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

More here

The bbs closed down some years back, so it’s not surprising that the cultural artifacts are being neglected.

1 Like

I think the secret was that the design was

a) readily identifiable with the bulletin board
b) derived from a base that lent itself to modification
c) supported by a group of gif artists who regularly released new versions.

The unofficial successor board, clubhouse54 had a similar culture–not based on Max, but on a logo of their own.

I’m not sure if boingboing has a base graphic to work from-- maybe jackhammer jill, but are we allowed to abuse her for this purpose?

:angel:   :question:   :horse: :golf:

?

A friend in Japan used to use ari- :cake: for ‘arigato’. That’s next-level emoticon shiz!

I second putting back the :metal: \m/ hand thing as @SmashMartian mentioned and we just talked about :neckbeard: in the bug thread. For the “Christ what an asshole” emoji, should we have Jesus pointing at a naked butt? or should we have him emerge from a butthole?
:sunglasses:

ETA:

U+1F918

:U+1F918:

angle brackets don’t do it either. what’s the trick?