Did you know that scorpions glow under ultraviolet light

Emperor scorpions are still the go-to species when you want to shoot a scene with a scary-looking creepy-crawly that is unlikely to harm the actors like when Indiana Jones is desecrating a World Heritage site or something. It was also the weapon of choice by the infamous gay assassins from Diamonds are Forever.

Bruce-Glover-Scorpian-238x300

4 Likes

I imagine that, like bee stings, there will always be people far more sensitive to the venom than average.

Of course, the same applies to peanut butter on a cracker.

1 Like

“Don’t try to pet anything named ‘the Deathstalker’” is probably another good rule to live by.

9 Likes

you really don’t want to find one in your dive boot:

the text reads: Punta Arrocito, Huatulco, Oaxaca, Mexico August, 2017. in my right dive boot after a day of snorkeling at playa Entrega.
the story is this: my right dive boot goes over my prosthetic foot shell. the boots had been left out to dry on papi’s front porch after a dive trip the day before. didn’t find him until i took the boot off the second day. that’s him, all 10cm of him. be a different story, had he been in the left boot!
moral of the story - in scorpion country, shake out your shoes before you put them on!

13 Likes

You mean you didn’t?

2 Likes

Lots of animals are biofluorescent:

3 Likes

Crispin Glover’s dad! (as I’m sure all mutants already know).

It’s like when the movie has s-s-s-scary, d-d-d-deadly tarantulas crawling on the hero, or those venomous, horrible black snakes!

2 Likes

They are arachnids, not insects.

season 6 friends GIF

1 Like

Scorpions?

Oh, different Scorpions.

As usual… “a bit of the ol’ ultraviolence.”

5 Likes

Yes. I knew this. Carry on

1 Like

8 Likes

You’re a good person.

Yikes!

I had a similar experience with a big black cricket I found in my shoe after I put it on. A little less harrowing than a scorpion!

1 Like

there once was a man from Peru/
who said, “i have a cricket in my shoe”/
he stepped in with force/
and smashed it, of course/
and now he has goo in his shoe!

3 Likes

2877032786_737085aae7_o

Yes. My brother in Arizona showed me this back in 2008 when I stopped there on my cross country drive. We found two or three using this technique that evening.

2 Likes

I really want to test this out around here. I know there are scorpions, they’re just hard to find. This feels like a good way to find them.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.