Did you?

A few years ago on Election Day, a friend was on their way to vote in the morning before work, and was struck by a car and seriously injured. Needless to say, they didn’t make it to vote. Now they routinely vote early, to be sure that nothing stops them from voting.

14 Likes

The advantage of voting on voting day is that you get to say aloha to your neighbors.

Election day is a state holiday in Hawaii. I worry that if too many people take advantage of early/absentee voting then we’ll lose that important component of our civil society.

11 Likes

Yay for vote by mail. One of the few things they manage to get right in WA.

12 Likes

Got our ballots on October 17.Turned them in the same day

10 Likes

All the best to my American friends. I hope the fightback to the rise of Nazi extremism in the US takes hold at the polls today. You’re suffering.

18 Likes
2 Likes

They don’t give us fancy stickers anymore, whatever.

13 Likes

Happy Voting!

17 Likes

My polling place is on the way to work and this morning even in monsoon conditions (the bottom dropped this am) I saw there was a full lot and steady stream of people trekking in to vote while children splashed in puddles.

14 Likes

just got back. everyone was grumbling in line in the early morning drizzle, but to a person, changed their grumble to, “but I guess it’s good sign the lines are long, it means everyone is out herw voting!”

17 Likes

No long lines at my district, but it’s so blue, the Republicans didn’t even bother to send out volunteer greeters to hand out sample ballots. But I overheard the Democratic volunteers saying that they have more volunteers than they know what to do with here in the DC suburbs of Virginia.

13 Likes

And should be in every state, grumble grumble grumble. People here have to finagle voting in around working and feeding their kids and etc. and it definitely depresses turnout to some unknowable degree. I voted as soon as the polls opened so I could be at work roughly on time; it’s pouring rain here and still too dark to see your shadow at 10am.

13 Likes

Done done and done. Took my wife and mother in law to vote. Interesting, we have apparently gone back to the paper scantron type ballots here. Have not seen those in many years.

12 Likes

Got a bit earlier than usually to head to the polls, thinking that there wouldn’t be a line… but there was already a line (we arrived a half hour after the polls opened). Ended up having to get the kid to school late as a result… but we voted!!!

16 Likes

In a democracy, the fight is never over. That’s the best and the worst part about Democracy – there’s always another go.

15 Likes

Yeah, ditto. I will be watching the BBC live coverage to take back control.

6 Likes

As of this morning, 52 percent of voters in my county had already voted (thanks to mail in ballots).

Those are record numbers for a gerrymandered urban city in a red state. There is an initiative to form a bi-partisan comittee and renegotiate districts.

My fingers are crossed!

8 Likes

I would happily skip school to vote. Also your I voted sticker rules.

11 Likes

Yeah, we have bilingual ballots now in our county, so we get bilingual stickers!

Also, she didn’t mind, although she likes going to school.

13 Likes

Gee… thanks, dude.

7 Likes