Did you?

But I have many polling booths in walking distance from where I live. Basically every school is a polling booth for the occasion. So the size of the electoral districts is irrelevant, the breakdown is into what we call wards which are tiny. And are that size (or smaler in rural areas) throughout the country no matter how densely populated the area is.
So, sure the largest vote I take part in is a referendum or presidential election where the entire population vote on one issue, whereas the smallest is in local government elections where mere thousands vote on a candidate, but my voting ward stays the same size - several thousand people voting in a school in walking distance from all of them - whether Iā€™m voting in the European Parliament election (district of millions) or my local council (district of thousands).

And thatā€™s why there are never any queues.

1 Like

We donā€™t usually have queues where I am either, as I am in a small state, but in some places the voting districts are much larger for practical reasons. Complexity doesnā€™t scale linearly.

I donā€™t know how complex your ballots are, but we tend to vote for many things at each election, sometimes as few as 5 or 6, mainly offices, but sometimes dozens of ballot initiatives as well. That can slow things down.

And of course many places create bottlenecks either through an unwillingness to fund the process adequately or through cynical intent to suppress voting.

I did. Via absentee ballot. The only way I have voted, really, since Iā€™m an expatriate my entire adult life.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.