Digital reading might be harming your comprehension, says study

Nope. No good. You might as well just use sandpaper on your frontal lobes.

3 Likes

They did. And about typewriters.

I haven’t read reading research in a long, long time, thing is that how and what we read changes through time and that change isn’t always evenly distributed.

I’m very suspicious of these reports until I see who the cohorts are and what kinds of texts they are. We tend to undervalue what is being learned when we think about how it is being learned. And that tends to be a mistake.

9 Likes

You can haz pdf. Just say the word!

2 Likes

word.

2 Likes

family guy bird is the word GIF

4 Likes

Should be in your messages now.

3 Likes

I’d never heard of hyperlexia before, but it explains a lot about me. I was reading Hardy Boys in kindergarten, while my classmates were having trouble with “ough” sounds. It also may explain why I don’t “hear” sounds when I read. I’ve never been diagnosed with autism, but it wasn’t really a thing when I was growing up in the '70s.

6 Likes

Well i’m apparently in the 16% of the hyperlexic population who isn’t on the spectrum but I was tested for it mainly because of that, mixed handedness and some speech issues. The testing for autism is so much better these days so there’s a chance I might actually be on it if I took it again. Doctors didn’t think it was normal for a three year old to be able to read the telephone book haha

7 Likes

Wait, mixed handedness? Both you and @Peter_Willard1 are starting to sound a lot like me.

Early reading, handedness depends on what I’m doing and stuttering when I was younger

4 Likes

plus one please. ( maybe we’ll need to throw a party… )

4 Likes

Wait, are you me?

2 Likes

O.K., but are you sure about BasedWhiteBoi1488? I thought his TikToks about reading Anna Karenina through a modern lens were on point.

3 Likes

One of the paper’s authors.

2 Likes

I tried reading the article but I think it would make more sense as a listicle. It’d be especially helpful if number five would blow my mind.

8 Likes

Hmm. White subtitles on white shirt.

Here’s a preprint of the paper. https://journals.sagepub.com/stoken/default+domain/ZWGEZIZQHS3RHNPCJDVD/full

1 Like

I’d mistakenly thought they were saying reading electronic books is no good for comprehension.

Ha ha ha, data point that confirms the study!

Maybe this has something to do with my mistake:
comprehension-circled

2 Likes
1 Like

There has to be one weird trick you could use to restore your reading comprehension (doctors hate it!)

7 Likes