Dinomania: The Lost Art of Winsor McCay, The Secret Origins of King Kong, and the Urge to Destroy New York

[Read the post]

5 Likes

Wonderful thing indeed!

4 Likes

A favorite McCay animation:

As part of his vaudeville act, McCay would draw onstage. He was very, very fast and a remarkable draftsman as anybody who has seen his comics can attest.

2 Likes

With his output, that guy should have gotten the mother of all- I was going to say writer’s cramps- cartoonists cramps I guess. He’d be legendary if all he did was Sunday pages, but he did Sundays and dailys and multiple strips. And his work was intricate. I love the self mocking way he would pretend to have poorly planned his word balloons, so the words would barely fit.

3 Likes

It is amazing how prolific he was. And how consistently interesting the work was, largely due to the intricacies of the work. I could easily enjoy ten more books along these lines. I only wish his former homestead was turned into a museum. http://www.cartoonbrew.com/cartoon-culture/winsor-mccays-hell-house-20873.html

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.