Discover the hilariously epic failure of a crypto-fueled libertarian cruise

But that might be doing something useful, generating real wealth, rather than the slow forgery of BitCoin!

BTW, I don’t see how they’ll compete with crypto efforts that tax national power grids or use a coal power plant to drive them. A solar-powered PC in the corner won’t cut it these days.

8 Likes

Nick Offerman Giggles GIF

Well, but also, sometimes… or rather often, force, poverty, and straight up lack of choices, too. Our supply chains are shot through with pockets of unfreedom and people who have had their choices taken away and force to work for starvation wages. Those people are just as critical to our supply chains as the expertise that runs those chains.

13 Likes

How did they NOT call this boat the “John Galt”, or “Galt’s Gulch”? And, in fact, it went far better than I expected. I expected it to be resting on the bottom of the gulf, somewhere off the coast of Panama.

7 Likes

12 year old 5’1" Captain Phillips pirates would probably wreck them as well.

That 12 year old was fighting for his life, something those techbros never needed to do for a second.

9 Likes

Yeah I am wondering about the fine line between seasteading and coral reef building.

5 Likes

Not exactly; yes, there are four individuals with little training and no experience going up to the ISS, but they’re astronauts, and they’re not involved in any of the technical aspects of launch or ground control, and I don’t see that changing any time soon.
I certainly don’t see a problem with more astronauts going into space with no previous military training, but they’re getting six months training, and moving forward I think there’s going to be a need for people to go into space to aid research who’ve not been through a military career.

3 Likes

I was talking about privatization not whether or not astronauts are military, but okay.

8 Likes

If you’re talking about tomorrow’s private SpaceX launch they won’t be going to the ISS, just orbiting for about 3 days and looking out of a big dome window where the docking ring would normally be. My guess is that they’ll get bored after the first couple of hours (if that) and may even come to question their decisions as their diapers start to fill up. That capsule is a pretty small space to spend with three other people for three days.

6 Likes

Out of Brittany, France, the Grain de Sail, a 72-foot aluminum cargo schooner, sports a state-of-the-art seafaring wine cellar designed for carrying pallets of biodynamic wines across the high seas. (This year, it brought coffee and cacao from the Dominican Republic back to France on its return voyage.) In Costa Rica, Sailcargo Inc. is building a plan — and a fleet — set to launch in 2022.

There’s also the Blue Schooner Shipping Company/Gallant, Timbercoast/Avontuur and Fairtransport/Trees Hombres & Nordlys.

And those are just off the top of my head.

7 Likes

Friends of mine have and do, which is why I would never, ever want to work in the service industry! I have neither the mind-set or patience to be able to deal with ignorant assholes without, shall we say, losing my composure.

5 Likes

Seasteading homes are “based” around the concept of a floating spar.

It is somehow appropriate that libertarians would be inspired by petroleum infrastructure.

https://www.pophistorydig.com/topics/greenpeace-shell-brent-spar/

6 Likes

Ah, Brent Spar… All I had to do to be an activist was to drive over to another petrol station.
Good times, good times…

4 Likes

Notice that like an iceberg, most of it is below the water. If what you want is living space with views and ocean breezes, it is a very inefficient way to get it compared to a boat.

8 Likes

I’d forgotten that, how often de we hear news reports about yet another cruise ship being stricken with an outbreak of Norovirus; add to that the possibility of C19 being added to the unholy mix.
Is there an answer?
Dusting off and nuking from orbit is the only one that springs to mind…

3 Likes

New on Gofundme!

We’re crowdfunding the outfitting of the Byford Dolphin II as the first stage in the development of our new planned community.

3 Likes

Well you’ve got to put the, er, auxiliary staff somewhere, haven’t you.

8 Likes

Note that an iceberg doesn’t float like that. Dense ballast is needed.

4 Likes

I saw the details for this mission earlier today, and the first thing that came to mind was bodily functions. Crew Dragon does apparently have a loo, but given the space available I suspect the experience will be akin to taking a dump in a bucket behind a thin curtain, while your fellow 'nauts try and ignore you.

Given it’s only 3 days, I’d probably opt to load up on Imodium and stick to a low cal, low solids diet…

1 Like

That musta been a long two months…

2 Likes

Yeah, I just saw an article about it on space.com that included the following:

Hard to imagine that the company is really going to have these amateurs who never even trained on the system be the first ones to use it. I’m betting on the diapers.

8 Likes