Is Cryptoland, the "first physical crypto island", a parody of NFT culture? Is parody even possible?

Originally published at: Is Cryptoland, the "first physical crypto island", a parody of NFT culture? Is parody even possible? | Boing Boing

4 Likes

This is just Nigerian Prince Coin.

21 Likes

Isn’t there some rule about questions in headlines?

14 Likes

No!

19 Likes

Previously, on “Libertarian Man-Children Who Don’t Know What the F*ck They’re Doing”:

And obligatory:

Despite an absence of legitimate use cases, cryptocurrencies, NFTs, and “Web3” may succeed in becoming part of our lives due to the large number of already wealthy (in fiat currency) people invested in making them happen. However, we must always bear in mind that any innovation based in Libertarian ideology is inevitably going to be – to one degree or another – a scam or boondoggle that preys on the unsophisticated and ignorant.

26 Likes

No doubt Hodlr and Buidlr will be launched soon.

The link is broken (again). Has there been some change to the BoingBoing software that is causing this?

4 Likes

No need to shout! I was just asKing. :wink:

11 Likes

It’s not until page 19 of the Why Paper that Cryptoland is actually revealed to be the 600-acre Fijian island of Nananu-i-cake.

8 Likes

Did I just watch that giant talking coin grab that dude’s ass?

I guess what happens on Crypto Island stays on Crypto Island. (Forever enshrined in Blockchain.)

6 Likes

First thing about that island that’s interested me

1 Like

“We’re going to build a libertarian paradise on/near Fiji without bothering to check how the government of Fiji feels about the idea first” has been a recurring theme through a lot of these efforts.

15 Likes

To paraphrase the old saying, “you may not be interested in the nation-state, but the nation-state is interested in you.”

That’s before you get to the lack of boring stuff like a power plant, water treatment plant, a sewage system, waste disposal, and container port in this “well-planned” enterprise. Better to focus on partying at the no-doubt classy and elegant (believe me) Vladimir Club, which I assume is named thus to appeal to the sleazy oligarch demographic.

10 Likes

If you want to quickly ascertain how much thought someone has really put into their proposal for a new society, a good barometer is “how are you going to deal with all the poop?”

16 Likes

From that great political-economic philosopher, Frank Fontaine:

These sad saps. They come to Rapture thinking they’re gonna be captains of industry, but they all forget that somebody’s gotta scrub the toilets.

Also, for those who don’t want to cringe their way through the video:

11 Likes

I guess the plan is to live on their island paradise, and pay for what they need by their magic spinning wheels that spin electricity into egold.

Never mind that spinning egold is currently done by dark satanic mills that suck an Argentina worth of power.

And the people that make and grow things can exchange with people who do services without involving these people in any way.

“We have egold for your fine goods.”
“Fuck off back to Cryptoland, you knunts!”

4 Likes

Buckle up, next stop Cryptoland.

2 Likes

But everyone knows the cake is a lie.

6 Likes

gullible island

13 Likes

I was going to say something something Poe’s Law, but all the other parodies here are already 1000x better than anything I could have come up with.

Heck, someone’s gotta install the toilets… not to mention the sewer systems and the water treatment plants.

That is how I know that the current government of Dubai does not have the planning capacity to remain viable over the long term: They built the world’s tallest skyscraper without bothering to build a sewage system capable of handling its waste first and now the city hosts a daily parade of poop trucks to cope with it.

11 Likes