Cryptoland dead after failing to buy non-crypto real estate

Originally published at: Cryptoland dead after failing to buy non-crypto real estate | Boing Boing

9 Likes

I have a feeling that this is a common refrain (fantasy?) among Libertarians who long for a utopia where there is no government to tell people what to do.

15 Likes

Somehow these business geniuses never live up to their fictional idols like John Galt.

A number of them are open about it. It goes hand-in-hand with the Libertarian idea that slavery is acceptable as long as there’s a contract between the parties. Of course, these fools are always working on the assumption that they’ll have the upper hand in what they know would be a situation with a power imbalance.

31 Likes

22 Likes

You gotta be a business genius and then “go Galt.” You can’t do it the other way around; that never seems to work.

11 Likes

24 Likes

Long live Fordlândia.

10 Likes

the Cryptoland Twitter account responded to a question asking what the age of consent would be on the island with a now-hidden tweet saying: “Mental maturity should be more than enough! ;)”.

Funny thing is that would make it age 25

20 Likes

“In a shocking development, the group that spent over half a million dollars developing a plan for an island utopia which included no visible means of power production, wastewater treatment, drinking water supply or medical facilities, and took an entire year to create a video about said utopia, was unable to ‘seal the deal.’”
:roll_eyes:

30 Likes

I think the age of consent should be 40. I definitely didn’t get my shit together until then.

9 Likes

It was also totally bananas in this context because even if the purchase went through they’d still be beholden to Fiji’s laws.

Just because you happen to own island real estate doesn’t mean you can do whatever you want there. The laundry list of charges filed against Jeffrey Epstein is proof of that.

22 Likes

Next you’ll tell me buying a book doesn’t give me IP rights to it. Pfft!

25 Likes

I watched/listened to this over the weekend while I was painting my office.
It’s excellent and I highly recommend this (long) video. Not just about NFTs as the title may suggest. In fact, it starts at the 2009 crash.

10 Likes

Anything related to cryptocurrency is going to attract scammers and thieves. It’s the Libertarian way.

11 Likes

So Fyre Festival on a smaller scale.

7 Likes

Kind of.
It’s always annoying to me how our culture venerates these “ideas people” as if they’re some kind of deities. Yes, big ideas are needed, but if there’s no one who can follow through and mind the details and such (which, IMO so many of these “ideas people” feel is beneath them), then everything falls apart, ala Fyre Fest.

9 Likes

And Epstein was not even the first:

6 Likes

A fun recent example of that is speculation about Alejandro Jodorsky’s attempt at making Dune. There were all these wild set, prop and costume designs, weird narrative takes on the material.

But by all accounts, it was never going to be made or would have been an utter shitshow if it actually made it past pre-production.

4 Likes

I don’t get how the Fyre people failed so badly. I mean, why not just partner with experts at running actual festivals and multi-day destination music events? Don’t try and reinvent the wheel or make it up as you go.

6 Likes

Because selling an idea is fun and interesting. Carrying out ideas is tedious and boring.

13 Likes