Cryptoland dead after failing to buy non-crypto real estate

Greed and delusional arrogance (“why should I give up any of the profits when a genius like me can do anything?!”) are big parts of these island ventures.

12 Likes

And that crypto cruise ship, and multiple other island scams, and so on and so on and so on.

You’d figure after about 20 rounds of “Crypto Utopia on X!” getting the response “how will there even be toilets” these people might put some thought into some basic shit like how to get food.

I just kinda assumed most of them were straight up scams until I caught the story about the cruise ship asshats actually buying a boat and going flat broke just moving it from point A to point B.

12 Likes

There’s still Puerto Rico! </s>

9 Likes

Boriquas have enough experience with the mainland to know that the thing that trickles down upon them from these “free”-market fundie gringos won’t be money.

11 Likes

The Rand-O’s usually fail to appreciate that even Galt relied on fantasy/science fiction nonsense to carry out his libertarian paradise.

10 Likes

Inability to defer to expert opinion

I’m sad these libertarians are unable to produce a quality dumpster fire, it’s all smoke no fire.

5 Likes

Ah! But that’s the thing and the whole of the thing to an-cap libertarians.

In their fallacious universe, the ultimate right is the right to own property and do whatever shit you want with it. (And because you own yourself, you can do whatever you want, and no one has the right to stop you.)

Trying to make them understand Fiji and its laws would be quite an effort, probably wasted.

6 Likes

“The infinity strength steel, gigawatt static electricity generator and city cloaking holographic projector will be available next year” -elon musk, every year from now on

8 Likes

And trains!

Don’t forget the choochoos.

MARS

6 Likes

JFC.
That’s all I got about this…

5 Likes

Any official statement on this from the project team? A lot of people were having fun pointing out the flaws in this project plan, and the project team was getting extremely defensive about it, accusing people of harassment and of “spreading FUD”.

Now that the whole thing has imploded, it seems that the FUD was just “the truth”.

7 Likes

It seems like the project would be dead after this, but it’s still going. Or at least it’s trying to. They did a big AMA on their discord a few days ago to show they are still ticking. https://twitter.com/molly0xFFF/status/1483580374131396612

3 Likes

Grifters gotta grift.

7 Likes

People didn’t clap hard enough. It’s their fault that Tinkerbell died.

8 Likes

Maybe they could buy the islands of Hunga-Tonga and Hunga-Ha’apai in the Tonga archipelago? I bet they could get a good price on those right now.

5 Likes

Runit Island is always going for below the market price. Even includes a giant concrete dome to play with.

11 Likes

D843601F-3142-41F1-BF83-08635854C954

8 Likes

Gruinard Island can probably be had fairly cheap
https://www.ripleys.com/weird-news/anthrax-island/

9 Likes

What a suprise!

4 Likes

related:

brian eno on nfts

6 Likes