Cryptoland threatens critic after "crypto island" plan draws fyre

Originally published at: Cryptoland threatens critic after "crypto island" plan draws fyre | Boing Boing

4 Likes

I’m currently rereading Neal Stephenson’s Cryptonomicon and this makes this story seem all the more surreal.

15 Likes

Ayn-caps are very predictable when it comes to age of consent though.

18 Likes

reassured true believers that in Cryptoland the age of consent will be “mental maturity… ;)”

The ghost of Jeffrey Epstein has entered the chat.

7 Likes

the age of consent will be “mental maturity

That can’t possibly be true. It would rule out sex for most of them.

29 Likes

As far as scams go, I guess it probably makes sense. I mean, if you’re dumb enough to get in on the Crypto nonsense this late in the game, you’re probably dumb enough to fall for this unbelievably transparent scam. Unless the whole thing is a joke, but they seem to be going to a lot of trouble for a joke.

In all seriousness, the whole Crypto thing is getting seriously out of hand. You have tons of celebrities now endorsing this bs, including people who should know better like Tom Morello.

10 Likes

WOW…just watched the cryptoland video and that thing was definitely filmed in “Cringe-O-Vision”
( copyright 2022QBF Productions)

9 Likes

Weird. Even if their alleged meaning is the one they really meant, that means the people who buy the homes can’t have children? Or if Christopher hooks up with the lady in the video and they want to start a family, they have to leave, and when they want to go back to their crypto-homes, they can’t bring their children?
So many issues with this place…

8 Likes

I saw ads for a crypto currency at Frankfurt airport recently. “Missed the boat on Bitcoin? Buy *crypto currency of choice, I forget the name*”.

I mean, who thinks crypto currencies advertised on airport billboards are a good idea? Are any investments a good idea if they need to be advertised on billboards?

10 Likes

Maybe we should use the term ‘airport coin’ with similar distain to the term ‘airport novel’.

7 Likes

Our twitter is run by several people and not all of them are native English speakers.

Sounds like they have a “clown car” approach to management at Cryptoland.

5 Likes

Tom Morello?! Noooooooooo!

5 Likes

citation? I haven’t seen anything from Morello endorsing crypto.
I could easily imagine him being in favor of decentralized finance, but I can’t believe he’d buy in to any of this sort of idiocy

1 Like

that video is just crazy (the animated one)…it has all sorts of references to “scams”, pyramid schemes, ponzi schemes like Bitconnect, and crypto disasters like Mt. Gox. It’s almost like a thinly-veiled warning by the animators to stay as far away from this thing as you possibly can

In tone it’s half crypto-bro cheerleading, and half Don’t Hug Me I’m Scared

5 Likes

The funniest self-own was the insistence that it’s totally normal to send out “cease and decease” requests.

19 Likes

those apparently behind the project have promised that it’s for real

Well then, here’s my cash.

11 Likes

“Access to basic infrastructure (electricity, water, fiber-optic internet, sewage and roads).”

None of which apparently exist at the moment on this really small island (small enough that no more than a few hundred people could live there before it became a Kowloon Walled City nightmare, I would expect property line disputes on day one even for a handful of residents.) There does appear to be one fancy house with its own dock.

8 Likes

Nor (other than the roads) in the model. :woman_shrugging:t2:
That hot tub in the living room is going to be pretty weird without water to fill it or energy to heat it.

8 Likes

You must be this mentally mature to ride the rollercoaster

10 Likes

I remember walking down the street just before the dotcom crash and every single billboard was advertising a website - usually one without a real revenue stream. It was pretty obvious that that boat had sailed and a readjustment was imminent.

7 Likes