Cryptoland threatens critic after "crypto island" plan draws fyre

So it’s NFTs, not cryptocurrency, but two sides of the same Bitcoin. https://twitter.com/tmorello/status/1438662192996524037?s=21

3 Likes

Releasing artwork of his D&D characters with original music for each is one hell of a long way from supporting Libertarian crypto-bro BS. Sure nfts are dumb, but this is definitely not two sides of the same coin

4 Likes

Well I gotta check out this video later. But I watched the first minute.

WTF??

That coin mascot is begging for a cease and desist from Mr. Goodcents.

3 Likes

Wait, that is Tom Morello from Rage Against the Machine?? He plays D&D? And is now selling some NFTs??

WHAT THE FUCK IS HAPPENING??

6 Likes

A 3D artist also found some of their rigs being used in the Cryptoland animation. Their rigs had a non-commercial license, so the artist asked Cryptoland to remove them from the video. Cryptoland blocked the artist as a result.

13 Likes

They’re on the London Underground too - between the dating app ads and the ones selling overpriced international calls - both of which look like sound businesses by comparison.

3 Likes

Also Ms. Minutes.

“But she’s not a coin,” you say? Well to that I counter time is money.

13 Likes

I was going to say that. Touché.

4 Likes

Morello is one of the players in Manganiello’s ongoing game. Inside Joe Manganiello's Epic Dungeons & Dragons Campaign - Variety

3 Likes

NFTs are literally just a computer file tied to a block chain, sometimes even a crypto currency block chain. The only real difference there is your series of numbers being tagged to a specific jpeg. So the pitch is more “collectables” than “currency”. Otherwise they function the same, are traded the same, are promoted and businessed by the same Crypto-Bro Libertarians and financial “geniuses” with the same BS.

It’s absolutely two sides of the same coin. I don’t neccisarily blame any given creative for jumping on what is basically a low pressure, easy money fad. But there’s a bit of dissonance with Morello jumping on this sort of thing.

8 Likes

There is a 100% chance that this is a scam. Yea, Captain obvious.

2 Likes

What. The fuck. Did I just watch?

Its like a fever dream wrapped inside of a pruno black out with the skin of Mr. Goodcents reanimated via the dark arts!

I have to keep pausing to regain my grip on reality, only to have it instantly pull me back under. Just when I think I am ok they break into a song and dance number that parodies a song from Grease.

WHAT THE FUCK IS HAPPENING?

5 Likes

Crypto version of the Nigerian scams - being transparently a scam is an advantage, as it selects for the best victims…

I think they say somewhere that transport on the island will be via off-road electric carts of some sort, so they’re apparently not even planning on anything but dirt trails.

With the crypto ads, they’re fully aware a crash is imminent - they’re just trying to get as many suckers in as possible to bring up prices so they can dump what they own. It’s the pattern.

6 Likes

Surely you get docked 10 of your ugliest NFTs for being the first crypto-islander to resort to threats of state force during the farce stage of the project…

Or is that OK because something something defamation common law tort something something?

1 Like

Clearly that should have been “cyst and decease.”

2 Likes

It looks like a cheap Myst knock-off.

3 Likes

Bring me the Blue Cryptos!

To be pedantic, it’s even worse than that. It’s not even a file tied to the block chain, it’s a URL link on the blockchain to a file that may or may not exist in a few years.

8 Likes

Or tomorrow.

6 Likes