Discover the hilariously epic failure of a crypto-fueled libertarian cruise

Reading Jules Verne’s ‘Propeller Island’ should be mandatory before trying something like this.

18 Likes

This is exactly what’s happening here with the local Libertarian candidate. He was pretty active in the last election talking about how he’s received so much money from the government to work on projects that never went anywhere, then basically used that as his campaign platform (stop government waste). He’s also pretty vocal about how much he doesn’t like politics or even want to be a politician. Now he’s the leader of the provincial Libertarian party.

Not surprisingly, he runs a tech company.

14 Likes

Someone let them disembark?

15 Likes

Trust fund babies with way, way too much time on their hands. That’s who.

6 Likes

You should run far away from any politician who claims to not like politics. At this point, not liking politics is pretty much code for not liking civil rights/liberties activists and wanting to go back to the “good old days” of Jim Crow and women not being able to vote or own property.

40 Likes

Look Up This Is It GIF by Audible

28 Likes

Can’t let that comment go without noting who was doing the work on Jefferson’s farm…

40 Likes

“That’s libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.”

38 Likes

They would overturn it by force and literally do a hostile takeover. Either by literally beating up on small children or by getting the fugitive slave patrolscops to do their dirty work for them because the kids don’t have the proper permit. And when they realize that little kids selling lemonade is cute but grown men selling lemonade is creepy, they will piss and moan about how the system is unfairly rigged against them :confused:

I’ve never met a Libertarian who actually knew how to do anything. They all fancy themselves “idea men” (aka bullshit artists) but are neither willing nor able to do actual work.

21 Likes

Y’know, if I was a rich asshole with more money than sense, and I wanted to go ‘start my own society,’ the first thing I would do is hire someone smart and with some experience to plan it out for me.

But I guess that just makes me more realistic and less self absorbed than the average gliberatarian bro…

31 Likes

As the late life of Ms. Rand eloquently demonstrates.

21 Likes

True, but these rich assholes with more money than sense believe that they are in possession of that expertise. They literally think they can do better than the rest of us, because they are rich. It’s a secular extension of Calvinism, that since God (or in this case, their brains) blessed them with wealthy, they must inherently know better than the rest of us… Wealth in their mind equates with superiority in every way, including in something as complex as building a society.

Indeed!

23 Likes

I knew Elwartowski. Good guy. Quiet. Very smart. Techie, but not a tech bro. Got in early on Bitcoin. Not sure how much $ he made off of that, but looks like probably hundreds of millions… I knew he was still working the seasteading angle but didn’t hear about the cruise ship. Will have to read the article in full. The seasteading concept is sound, but the complexities come in the management of it…

1 Like

Oh, I get it; their immense hubris gets in the way of everything else, including rational thought.

My comment was more of a general lament; as some have said ‘youth is wasted on the young’ I say “wealth is wasted on the wealthy.

24 Likes

I laughed out loud when I read his stance on politics, but you’re right. Knowing him the way I do (which isn’t well, but well enough to get a vibe) him actually getting elected wouldn’t have been good for this area at all (unless you’re a straight white dude).

His whole thing right now is that people are telling him what to do (pandemic) and he doesn’t like it. His entire campaign was basically a public hissy fit.

10 Likes

…and then people vote for Brexit. I mean they voted to make their country a pariah state and blockade the import of the neccesities of life and of civilisation.

8 Likes

Burt Reynolds Roger GIF

18 Likes

Seastedding can not fail; it can only be failed.

23 Likes

Truly, we are unworthy of this vaunted idea of seasteading… even our spellcheckers are not worthy…

17 Likes

15 Likes