Disinformation 2020: FBI warns of ongoing Russian 'information warfare'

It’s really fantastic, also a model of how to accept an award named after someone else.

It also reminds me to read his latest novel.

7 Likes

Here’s one explanation, though it makes me ill to read it:

18 Likes

That said, “Eat the rich” is sounding crude, clear, and forcible, so maybe there’s hope?

7 Likes

As Newt said early in 2016, it’s about how people feel. Feelings.

Because their base is too stupid for anything other.

4 Likes

Yep. Thanks to Vladislav Surkov according to the Adam Curtis short from 2014
Hey look its Natalia Veselnitskaya at 1:29!! What a coincidence!!

4 Likes

Does “Putin is a fascist chud” count?

7 Likes

Bot Sentinel

2 Likes

Are you one of them dirty rotten Greys, trying to turn us against our Venusian Space Brothers?! :alien:

1 Like

In case the latest Senate circus wasn’t a recent enough reminder…

3 Likes

I’m sorry, why are we just dictating what the FBI says?

I don’t trust this “we have secret information that you can’t see so you just have to believe us” position.

And from the same article: " After the report was issued, Wray told The Associated Press that the mistakes were “unacceptable and unrepresentative of who we are as an institution.”" In regards to Carter Page surveillance, something that wasn’t a Russian derived narrative, that did happen, they admitted to and probably caused more harm in terms of validating Trump supporters distrust of The Deep State.

Who is to say this alleged Russian Interference is effective?

I see an onslaught of disinformation on Boing Boing in the form of advertising: how to remove earwax, what my liver looks like, some disgusting food that should have miracle cure. It doesn’t work, which is why we’re seeing more and more of it because the ROI keeps getting lower and lower.

I’m much more concerned with the shenanigans going on in Iowa, Bloomberg buying his way into the election, the Neo-liberal bias of MSNBC, CNN, NYT, WaPo and Vox than I am with “Russian Interference.”

I’m also deeply concerned with the return of McCarthyism where, as can be seen in the comments section here, any questioning or non-compliant comment or position is seen a Russian Bots or Putin’s Puppets.

Then we come to something like Venezuela, and BOTH members of Congress applauding US intervention and election interference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNDWjopYShA

This swing to the right is what’s alarming, not some ridiculous Facebook memes.

3 Likes

Take it from someone living in a country next door to Russia: they are busy messing with the West. Putin and his crowd are terrified of an actual demographic movement in Russia that could oust them, like Ukrainians did to Yanukovich, so they’re doubling down on fearmongering, nationalist chest-thumping, and blaming everything bad to the perfidious Westerners.

And they support that swing to the right you’re talkign about – Russia itself is basically fascist-lite these days, and they have been funding right-wing, anti-EU parties all over the Europe for years.

8 Likes

And this just in, if you actually want info:

5 Likes

I do hope that the actual Russian tr0lls who show up here (as opposed to Putin’s useful idiots and apologists) are more competent this time around than they were in 2016. I’d like to think that four years would make a difference in terms of improved spelling, grammar and subtlety (e.g. no more whataboutism), but on the other side we’ll still have … poorly paid Russian workers, which never bodes well for quality.

6 Likes

There is copious evidence of Russia actively using the internet to stir up shit world wide. AKA trolley farms. Facebook admitted so many of the “Red Blood Americans for America” type pages were from Russian entities.

For sure Russia isn’t the CAUSE for the right wing or its recent upswing, but it certainly is contributing.

Also when you have the President saying he believes Russia over his own Intelligence officers, that is extremely alarming.

7 Likes

Mod note: Posting contentless responses to the opinions of others is a great way to guarantee your posts get eaten. Everyone is entitled to their opinion here, provided they fall within the guidelines. If you disagree with the opinion, then explain why and challenge the opinion. Posts that amount to “Your opinion is dumb” literally bring nothing to the discussion and will result in the opinion (and, eventually, the poster) being eaten.

8 Likes

Related: Moscow Mitch put party before country yet again.

5 Likes

5 Likes

DA! Russia sucks, comrade.

2 Likes

The swing to the right I meant is with the liberals using McCarthyism.

I don’t think troll farms are unique to Russia. I have never said that Russia isn’t using the internet to try to stir up shit.

What I am questioning is their efficacy. I don’t buy into it. And it’s alarming how it is weaponized to attack any kind of dissent. In this thread alone have been insinuations that I’m a Russian troll. Clinton used it to smear Gabbard. It’s very dangerous.

There is a binary: you’re either with us or for THEM.

On the one hand, yeah, Trump not trusting the intelligence institutions is a problem. Trump is a liar though, it’s just alarming that he is where he is. On the other hand, those intelligence agencies did wrongfully investigate him. So he has reason not to trust him.

We all should have reasons not to trust these undemocratic institutions that have a tremendous amount of power.

Now, and I don’t believe that I have to say this, that doesn’t mean I support Trump.

Right now the biggest threat to American democracy appears to be the DNC. At a bare minimum it needs to be investigated what is going on in Iowa and conflict of interests need to be removed.

These are all reasonable positions.

Really?

JFC. never mind.

11 Likes