Disney World's Rock 'n' Roller Coaster to be re-themed to Muppets' Electric Mayhem?

Originally published at: Disney World's Rock 'n' Roller Coaster to be re-themed to Muppets' Electric Mayhem? | Boing Boing

1 Like

Wait… it’s Aerosmith themed?

ryan reynolds hd GIF

I mean, sure Aerosmith was fairly popular in 1999, but so was Seinfeld or the Ford Taurus or Gateway computers. Those all seem as relevant to family fun as freaking Aerosmith.

3 Likes

7 Likes

Is this like the time Jennifer Tilly was going to be in the Haunted Mansion? Disney fans love change! Madame Leota to Change??? Oh No! | The DIS Disney Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

2 Likes

A subset of Disney superfans raise a stink whenever the parks make any change to the rides, like when they changed up the scene in Pirates of the Caribbean where weeping women were being sold into sexual slavery or how they are currently re-theming Splash Mountain to distance it from a movie that was so racist Disney never even released it on home video in the United States. But at the end of the day even those naysayers keep coming back anyway.

10 Likes

“BUT MY MEMORIES!!!” - Disney Fans

4 Likes

Personally, I prefer The Mayhem’s catalogue to anything Aerosmith has done in the past 20+ years.

It’s a fun coaster (as I remember it) but thematically way out of sync with today.

5 Likes

Another Space Mountain style “80 mph in a closet.” Needs more Mayhem.

4 Likes

This seems like a ride that would lend itself well to temporary thematic overlays if they didn’t want to commit to a permanent change. Just look at all the different (and very popular!) temporary re-themes that they’ve done at Disneyland’s Space Mountain, including “Rockin’ Space Mountain,” “Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy,” and “Hyperspace Mountain.”

As for the standard version of the ride, it didn’t used to have onboard audio at all. Once they added that tor a number of years the soundtrack for the ride included guitar riff by Dick Dale. Around 2005 they changed the music to be a more sci-fi soundtrack, including sounds from a theremin. I kinda missed the guitar, but wan’t too upset by the change. Theremins are the go-to instrument for space sound effects, after all.

3 Likes

Can You Picture That?!

4 Likes

I remember around that time wondering why they chose Aerosmith too. I was in high school in the 90s. Aerosmith was still on the radio but I feel like by the time Nirvana came along, they were pretty much in the classic rock category. They were old news. They had a big hit with that song in the movie Armageddon in 1998 which was sort of a comeback. So that may have had something to do with the decision. Some executive probably loved them when they were younger and saw that hit as evidence that they had lasting appeal?

4 Likes

Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem’s versions of Aerosmith songs seriously rock dude. They should have Animal sing the lead.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.