Disneyland screws up the Red and White lightbulb

The split light bulb is an example of a design solution that is meant to attract less attention to itself than two like-colored bulbs in a row would. So if you never noticed it that means that someone did their job right.

Another example of “split the difference to make a less awkward transition” design that most people don’t notice is the facade of a building that sits at the junction between Adventureland and New Orleans square. It’s an architectural oddity that sits somewhere between Polynesian thatched bamboo and the French Colonial style of Louisiana, but few people stop to consider it because it’s really just there to provide a more seamless transition.

6 Likes

This is my favourite Disney trivia (though I’m not a Disney person so it’s a short list). In fact all the transitions between Lands have “mixed” architecture/foliage/etc. Somewhere there’s a site that documents them all and there’s some really interesting ones. Not interesting enough for me to go find it again though.

6 Likes

I think of those kinds of things as the architectural equivalent of a typographic ligature. They look weird when viewed in isolation but when used effectively you never even notice their existence.

6 Likes

There’s probably countless examples of creative fixes for minor issues that were bothering an architect or imagineer at the park, but this is one of my favorites.

This off-center exit sign at a restaurant was driving an imagineer nuts so they solved the problem by painting in the cat pulling it in place:

When they built a copy of the restaurant in Disneyland Paris they got the sign placed correctly, but decided to keep the cat. This time he’s doing a thumbs up in approval.

18 Likes

This is not the excellent level of planning and execution we have come to expect from a cartoon mouse.

2 Likes

And it IS a small problem - one might say a rather minnie problem

2 Likes

:musical_note:It’s a small problem after all. :musical_note:

4 Likes

Ahhh, thank you for the context!

The real answer to this is to build a time machine and give a beatdown to the architect who came up with this design.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.