Disposable Pilot Varsity fountain pens

I still write with pens from my “permanent collection,” but these disposables make life a bit easier.

Can’t wait to see these . . . or have photos been posted already?

I can do that. Give me a day or two to take some photos.

And FYI my day-to-day go to pen was suggested to me in a BBS post. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I got my 6 year old one of these and have had no trouble.

http://www.amazon.com/Lamy-Abc-Beginner-Nib-Fountain/dp/B000FA5EHY?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00

3 Likes

Ordered!

1 Like

The greatest of all disposable fountain pens is the Pilot Petit1, which has a proprietary cartridge that’s easily emptied out and refilled with the ink of your choice (just use a wide-bore syringe) if you have a mind to. I bought a TON of them in Japan a few years ago, probably 30: they were about $2 each. I keep a dish of them on my desk, I always toss one or two in my satchel, and I just hand them out to people who show an interest in my fountain pens. They look tiny but when you put the cap on the back they’re about the same size as any other pen, they write flawlessly with their fine nib, and they never ever dry out. You can order them from JetPens or probably other places at less than $4 each, and trust me, there’s nothing like them. The Japanese really know fountain pens.

The Platinum Preppy is another great Japanese disposable pen with most of the same positives as the Petit1. It’s not as aesthetically pleasing because it has a bunch of stuff printed all over the barrel, but otherwise, well worth owning. AND it’s available in three different nib sizes. $3 to $4.50 each depending on the nib: a bargain.

1 Like

I generally always have ink on my hands, either from cleaning and refilling pens or just from writing, because I don’t treat my pens with the loving care they probably deserve so a few drops of ink get knocked into the cap and then onto the grip. But yeah, it’s a badge of honour to be an ink-stained wretch.

2 Likes

I’m looking forward to seeing some photos! What’s your go to daily pen? Which post helped you find it?

(whispering loudly) try pencils!

2 Likes

I have a tendency to get ink all over my hands (and face, and desk, and anything else nearby though not necessarily really nearby) regardless of what I’m doing.

But this may help. If you get a true extra fine (my only personal example being a Lamy) and put any of the “bulletproof” Noodlers ink in it, the excess ink deposited is very minimal and the ink dries very quickly. It will still smudge for a few minutes but it’s not nearly as bad as fountain pens usually are.

For me, I like mine a bit wet (probably why I’m so messy) and I like my nibs to glide effortlessly over the paper so that’s not the route I take. It might work for you though.

1 Like

In my head, I heard Mr. Burns saying this.

Do you know how hard it is to find a nice artisanal pencil nowadays?

1 Like

Yes, it’s nearly impossible to find a good, bespoke, artisanal, curated, locally sourced, zero carbon footprint pencil. With a bird on it.

4 Likes

(whispers at top of lungs) http://cwpencils.com/

It’s really easy! You won’t regret it! If you need a dozen get them from Amazon but it might take a month!

Don’t believe the lies people told you about mechanical pencils! Woodcase is still the best (and affordable)!

3 Likes

Yes, but be of good cheer. Rumor has it that artisanal finger paint may be making a comeback.

Whether if will be free range, sustainably sourced, GMO-free finger paint is not yet clear, but I’m hoping.

But you can find an artisanal pencil sharpener practicing the age-old art of manual pencil sharpening. It’s perfect for artists, writers, and standardized test takers, and even shipped with their shavings and a "certificate of sharpening,"
http://www.artisanalpencilsharpening.com/

1 Like

I actually did have to learn how to manually sharpen a pencil, when I took a drafting class in jr high. A mechanical device shaved off the wooden portion of the pencil, but didn’t touch the lead. That you had to sharpen to a chisel point using a sandpaper block:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.