Divers retrieve hundreds of bottles of booze from a World War I shipwreck

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/13/divers-retrieve-hundreds-of-bo.html

2 Likes

But is it still good?

4 Likes

I will gladly taste/guzzle every last bottle to discern if it’s any good. At no charge…

12 Likes

600 bottles of De Haartman & Co. cognac and 300 bottles of Benedictine (now Bacardi) liqueur meant for Tsar Nicholas II

Sure, his subjects were dying and starving or otherwise suffering due to his incompetence in waging war against his cousin, but Nicky had his own priorities!

14 Likes

Benedictine might be made by Bacardi, but it’s still called Benedictine. Fun fact: “It was developed by wine merchant Alexandre Le Grand in the 19th century, and marketed as having been derived from an original recipe of Benedictine monks of the Abbey of Fécamp in Normandy lost in the ashes of the French Revolution.”

20 Likes

He probably was not personally responsible for the order of delivery.

1 Like

I’ve studied the period enough to know that it’s more probable he was responsible for the order. The guy was that incompetent and out-of-touch – he makes Dubya look like a great statesman and man of the people.

9 Likes

Valid point, Trump makes Dubya look great…

5 Likes

I had a similar feeling cleaning out my grandparents liquor cabinet after they passed - minus the benefit of the oxygen-free, near freezing condition for some of the more ancient tipples.

5 Likes

I was thinking, “Well, interesting someone had the same taste in liquor as me” but now you’ve got me worried.

8 Likes

Cognac supposedly doesn’t go bad. So if the cork was intact - there’s a good chance.

It was certainly temperature and humidity controlled.

9 Likes

B & B (Deo Optimo Maximo) is very enjoyable.

Water has the rare property of having its smallest volume at 4 degrees Celsius (39.2 Fahrenheit), causing any water colder or warmer to float on top of it. This causes any body of water of sufficient size and depth to have a constant temperature of almost exactly (depending on salinity) 4°C at its bottom.
That is just about ideal to store perishables.
I would love to try a sip of pre-cccp flavor.

7 Likes

Agreed.

5 Likes

You’re not a vegetarian too, are you? 'Cause, you know, Hitler was a vegetarian… although he was also addicted to prescription drugs (in that his quack medicine was prescribed for him by a “qualified” doctor), and also, I understand, a bit of a Nazi.

I don’t think that drinking Benedictine is likely to turn you in to an despot. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Not a record by a long way…

10 Likes

Yeah, but it’s not pre-digested by elephants.

3 Likes

At least I’m not a fan of the hard, crispy kind of pretzels…

3 Likes

Save the beer lads! / Save the beer!

1 Like

How many dictators have come from Burnley?

4 Likes

Well, if it isn’t, there’s PBR 99 packs available (I’ve heard).

1 Like