DIY Epipen: the $30 Epipencil

But where “doctor” is a synonym for “physician” (i.e. the other definition of doctor) the scare quote make perfect sense.

Wait… did I wander into another language thread?

4 Likes

Actually, the needle simply pushes through the rubber needleshield. This is the sterile barrier created at syringe manufacture/syringe fille. As the ramrod releases and hits the stopper, it indexes the entire syringe forward, through the needleshield and into your flesh.

3 Likes

As its been pointed out - if they’re ‘looking into’ this, they’re only ~8 years away from approval. You don’t think Mylan or any of their competitors have been ‘looking into it’?

Statements like this are 1) to improve PR or 2) to attract investment $$ from suckers.

The Epipen is unique in its operation - pushing the needle through the rubber needleshield.

Other autoinjectors use a cap that mates with the needleshield and removes it immediately prior to use.

‘Pen style’ multi-dose injectors use single use sterile needles that are screwed onto a multi-dose cartridge enclosed within the pen, with a rubber septum in the cartridge pierced each time.

2 Likes

Implying that someone is a quack because they have a legitimate right to call themselves a doctor is ignorant bullshit and indicates the person making the implication is unlikely to have any valid insights on academics or medicine.

Was that blunt enough? I am often too prolix. I can get less polite, but I prefer not to.

2 Likes

I can live with a difference of opinion. Otherwise you might hurt my feelings with naughty words, and wouldn’t that be the worst thing to happen to me, ever?

2 Likes

Hell, I know you can take it.

But my mom might read this!

2 Likes

I did enjoy the history lesson on the use of the honorific “doctor.” (Really, it was interesting.) But that is history, literally. Do tell us, though, what special medical insights a doctorate in mathematics confers?

I find their claimed idea of an automated lab to create drugs interesting and provocative but I have no way to know to what degree it is really possible, safe or efficacious. What I do know is that even as they are advocating breaking IP laws they don’t understand correctly which one’s they are breaking. From the FAQ:

[quote]Aren’t you stealing from the patent holders of the medication, when you make it yourself?
No. You are violating their copyright[/quote]

Uh, no. Really, no. You are violating their patents. You can’t “copyright” a chemical or drug.

If their advice on actual medicine is as bad as their advice on IP law then I’d think a lot of people are going to die. One hopes they are better at chemistry than law, but this gross error does not instill confidence in their attention to detail or their ability to understand fields outside their own.

1 Like

I didn’t claim doctors are physicians, although hopefully in some sense I refuted that claim. In any case I’m glad you enjoyed it. :slight_smile:

In other news, the Wikipedia pages on ecclesiastical titles and styles was apparently written by Europeans with no knowledge of American uses.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.