This 5-tool survival bracelet is a mighty convenient lifeline

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/03/09/this-5-tool-survival-bracelet.html

A month ago I bought some Bamboo sheets through BoingBoing. I researched around a bit but not enough. They turned out the be junk, and returning them has been a catastrophe. I then found out that they had been advertised on BoingBoing before, and had been exposed as crap at that time.

Lesson learned. I will never buy anything through the BoingBoing store again until there are some serious revisions put in place to keep the crap out of this place.

5 Likes

Seconding this (though different product). Even if it seems compelling on BoingBoing, I look for similar or same elsewhere with independent reviews. Ex: https://www.amazon.com/Multifunctional-Paracord-Cos2be-Parachute-Emergency/dp/B01CY4R9LW

3 Likes

Yeah. I did a cursory check, but not nearly what I would normally do. I got suckered in, and I like to think that I’m usually pretty savvy. Ah well.

Or you can just buy the buckle:

…And make the bracelet yourself, with whatever paracord you want to use.

Honestly, though. Who sells a paracord bracelet and then doesn’t list the breaking strength of the paracord?

3 Likes

Do be aware that with a little striker like that, you need either preparation, or patience and skill, when it comes to your tinder.

Dave here gives up on the patience option (though I know from his other videos he could have done it) and goes with preparation:

This is true of any survival gear in one way or another, of course.

Thirded. I bought some bluetooth headphones through the site. They work well enough, but keep falling out of my ears, even with the biggest tips. I don’t have gigantic Ferengi ears or anything…

If you don’t have Ferengi ears then this is the one you want.

It’s nice, but I’d prefer stereo…

2 Likes

It’s longer on the inside than it looks!

3 Likes

Whether you’re stranded in the Yukon territory after a crash airplane landing …

Although of course you wouldn’t be allowed to take it on a plane, with that blade on there…

I opted for the 6-in-1 model and the decoder told me to drink drink more Ovaltine.

5 Likes

But where’s the tactical survival bottle opener, though? HOW WILL I OPEN MY EMERGENCY SURVIVAL IMPORTED BEER?

I like the idea. But, it’s really just a fire-starter and compass and some cord. I could just take a fire-starter and a compass, put them on some cord, and wear it around my neck. I would like to see a little more to it, like a full knife blade, or some other multi-tool function.

Something like?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.