Do roundabouts cause tornadoes? Man wants to know

the-house-will-ferrell

8 Likes

What if we had a bunch of really fast people unravel the tornadoes by going in the opposite direction?

12 Likes

They would go back in time as seen on Superman.

12 Likes

When I was a meteorology student we once had to critique a published paper that argued that the vorticity generated within medians by traffic running each direction on 4-lane highways contributed to tornadic activity in the atmosphere. How it got past the referees, I’ll never know. So yeah, this is probably real. :flushed:

10 Likes

I think it was in the Journal of Irreproduceable Results that I read a faux-serious paper on whether hurricanes were being created by cargo ships, and whether they could be steered or even dissipated by using ships going the opposite rotation. I believe the executive summary was one word long: “No.”

9 Likes

This actually sounds like someone that could be from my county. We’re getting a few new roundabouts and you would think it was the end of the world.

The very best comment (until the tornado thing) was, it’s exactly what the communists want.

They also complain that they’re dangerous because people will drive right through the middle. That’s not the traffic circle that’s dangerous, that’s the moron driver.

5 Likes

The answer is “yes”, of course.

14 Likes

I say we get the local Rotary Club on the case!

11 Likes

Dear gawd i’ve seen blenders less chaotic than that!

3 Likes

Is that the Toyota Coriolis, is never to be driven in packs as they will give your neighborhood a swirly it will never forget.

7 Likes

When I was in the UK in 2017 I saw some roundabouts that were little more that a 50cm diameter painted circle in the middle of an intersection. Of course some of these were in villages where the edges of the narrow roads were the walls of half millennia-old houses.

3 Likes

That’s a mini-roundabout, which is generally used at junctions where we want all roads to have equal priority (unlike a T-junction) and are not sufficiently busy to justify putting in traffic lights (UK traffic planners hate the four-way stop). Like other roundabouts, they’re not great for pedestrians, but they’re generally placed in areas where either the traffic flow or the footfall is low enough for that not to matter.

8 Likes

TBH that is not a roundabout, it is an unholy child of a traffic circle after it was gangbanged by roundabouts

This is what a modern multi-flow roundabout looks like

3 Likes

However it is indisputable that roundabouts cause Yes albums.

4 Likes

Toto, we’re not in Kansas anymore.

1 Like

I think that was a joke. Hard to tell these days. But, I think that was a joke.
God, I hope that was a joke.
Was that a joke?

I’d rather have a magic roundabout than the through roundabout that is close to where I live. That one always seems to have an accident on it from someone who turned the wrong way down the one way road through the middle.

Everyone who lives in or near Oxford seems to hate it, from green activists to Jeremy Clarkson.

3 Likes

Is that you Doogle?

2 Likes

I’ve long been convinced that many roundabouts are designed/implemented by those who seek to discredit the idea of roundabouts. A city I used to live in added a series of three roundabouts in a sequence: the first and third regular free-flowing one-way roundabouts, the middle one two-way with stop signs.

And you just haven’t lived until you’ve done Washington D.C.’s traffic circles on skates at rush hour. Timing really is everything.

2 Likes

4 Likes