Video: First roundabout in northeastern Kentucky confuses drivers

Originally published at: Video: First roundabout in northeastern Kentucky confuses drivers | Boing Boing

4 Likes

OK, but that roundabout is missing literally a dozen road signs.
You need three per incoming street:
•A “pass on the right” at the start of the traffic island
•A “roundabout”
•A “yield”
Oh, and some painted road markings.

22 Likes

Yeah, seems kind of half-assed with no indicators.

Guess they blew the budget getting all those curved bricks…

5 Likes

They should have gone all-in with this:

28 Likes

From a French postdoc i dated long ago (wish i could include the wonderful accent):

Look to the left. If you see no one coming, punch it [1]. If you do, sit tight [2]. si simple!

[1] “passer à toute vitesse
[2] “asseyez-vous juste là”

17 Likes
10 Likes

A couple neighborhoods over in my neck of the US, they have little roundabouts on residential streets. But they still installed 4-way stop signs at those intersections. Like, wtf? Make up your mind.

14 Likes

It’s the two-lane roundabouts that I have troubble dealing with

3 Likes

There’s a Mayberry episode in there somewhere.

3 Likes

Presidential elections results 2020: Republican 67.2%, Democratic 31.5%

Nuff said.

7 Likes

Kentucky confuses drivers

Wow, that’s mind blower.

10 Likes

Good grief, the follow-the-leader idiocy is real.

This roundabout isn’t even complete, and they’re allowing traffic. Don’t do that. The public has waited a few months, they can wait another week to get it right (no lane markings or directional arrows on the pavement, there’s one sign in place, etc). There are workers present, allowing traffic too early makes their jobs needlessly dangerous.

It’s like the jurisdiction that authorized this construction wants it to fail.

27 Likes

They can be a little tricky. The key is to just never box somebody in (i.e. never try and pass on the right, so the person on the inside can move out for their exit at a moment’s notice), and make sure you signal. Aside from that, the basic rule is yield when entering and don’t hit anybody.

It is absolutely galling as a New Englander to see the word “roundabout” so many times when “rotary” is obviously better and shorter.

7 Likes

“We’re looking at a way to reduce the severity of crashes that this intersection has a history of,” said Allen Blair with the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet District 9

I’m sure the vehicles driving on the wrong side of the road and going the wrong way around the roundabout will help with that.

8 Likes

Well, you can call it that. You may be misunderstood depending on context. We in garbage island also use the word “gyratory” which is like a roundabout only moreso. Not for the faint hearted.

https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/wiki/index.php/Catford_Gyratory

This latter being, in the view of writers of satnav algorithms, a must-see on any journey in Southeast London. Bastards.

6 Likes

“Yield to everyone left of you even if they are behind you.” Typically, the middle lane can exit at any exit but the first one and the outside lane can exit at the first or second.

If you want to take the first exit, be in the outside lane. If you want to take the second exit, be in either lane. If you want any further exit, be on the inside lane.

If there are more than two lanes, there had better be a diagram. Heck, it’s a good idea in the two lane case as well.

(And if you’re a bicycle riding along the side walk and entering the road at the crosswalk, you aren’t a pedestrian, you are a vehicle and must stop and then yield to all traffic on the road.)

2 Likes

Why … that’s magical!

2 Likes

I think stuff like that is misleading. A cloverleaf intersection looks incredibly complicated from above and yet is pretty much the easiest form of intersection to navigate. It’s the same here, the principle isn’t different from normal roundabouts, they’re just chained behind each other.

1 Like
8 Likes

Yeah Magic Roundabout and Spaghetti Junction have nothing on Hanger Lane. It’s nasty (The Magic is actually fine, as pointed out above. just give way to the right, follow the signs and over you go).

2 Likes