Do you have time to talk about our lord and savior, Shrimp Jesus?

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/03/22/do-you-have-time-to-talk-about-our-lord-and-savior-shrimp-jesus.html

4 Likes

That’s nothing.

11 Likes

Pass the eye bleach over pls

4 Likes

Carsinneration?

5 Likes

No. Nor shrimp.

Leviticus 11:10 ESV

But anything in the seas or the rivers that does not have fins and scales, of the swarming creatures in the waters and of the living creatures that are in the waters, is detestable to you

12 Likes

God Hates Shrimp

Shrimp, crab, lobster, clams, mussels, all these are an abomination before the Lord, just as gays are an abomination. Why stop at protesting gay marriage? Bring all of God’s law unto the heathens and the sodomites. We call upon all Christians to join the crusade against Long John Silver’s and Red Lobster. Yea, even Popeye’s shall be cleansed. The name of Bubba shall be anathema. We must stop the unbelievers from destroying the sanctity of our restaurants.

11 Likes

I am starting to believe Jesus has no feet.

8 Likes

Jesus Reaction GIF

7 Likes

Obligatory non-AI-generated image:

They got washed away when he became a shrimp.

8 Likes

Yes, AI generated garbage is ruining the internet. So let’s not make it easier for the people running these scams, eh?

10 Likes

I love the genre of Flight Attendant Jesus saving people Sully-style after a water landing. Particularly when Left Shark and the fully actualized version of Stalking Cat, the extreme body-mod tiger man from the early ‘00s pop in for the assist. But I feel they lack verisimilitude because Jesus is totally wading rather than walking on top of the water in a situation where that power would really come in handy.

7 Likes

But no decapod-style crucifixes?

Smbc 20110907

15 Likes

8 Likes

I knew Dennis, at least in passing. I think he would have appreciated that comment!

2 Likes

Well, I always wondered if the whole “eat my body” part of the gospels was kosher, I guess in this case it’s not.

5 Likes

This points to a near future problem of AI feedback loops polluting more serious endeavors as the pool of all types of erroneous AI increases.

4 Likes

I’m glad! He always seemed to have some sadness in him from the appearances I saw but his mods seemed to bring him joy. A true happy mutant. I had to look up his name to get it right and was sorry to see he had died.

2 Likes

Key takeaways:

• We studied 120 Facebook Pages that posted at least 50 AI-generated images each, classifying the Pages into spam, scam, and ‘other creator’ categories. Some were coordinated clusters of Pages run by the same administrators.
  • These images collectively received hundreds of millions of engagements. A post including an AI-generated image was one of the 20 most viewed pieces of content on Facebook in Q3 2023 (with 40 million views).
  • Spam Pages used clickbait tactics and attempted to direct users to off-platform content farms and low-quality domains. Scam Pages attempted to sell products that do not exist or to get users to divulge personal details; some were posting the AI-generated images on stolen Pages.
  • AI-generated images are shown on the Facebook Feed to users who do not follow the Pages. We suspect that AI-generated images appear on users’ Feeds because the Facebook Feed ranking algorithm promotes content that is likely to generate engagement. Comments on the AI-generated images suggest many users are unaware of the synthetic origin of the images, though a subset of users post comments or infographics alerting others. The fact that viewers are deceived by these images highlights the importance of labeling and additional transparency measures moving forward.
  • Some of the Facebook Pages we studied also used known deceptive practices, such as account theft or takeover, and exhibited suspicious follower growth.
4 Likes

Yeah, he was an interesting person. I wasn’t close or anything, but saw him a few times at MFF and other Chicago area conventions when I was a staff member as well as being on a few panels with him. Hearing him talk about what he had to go through to get those mods was very enlightening. Short version: most of them could not be done as medical procedures, else the person doing the work could lose their license. The upshot of this was most (all?) of those were done without anesthesia.

I kind of see him as a good example of the extremes some people will go through to be closer to how they see themselves, no matter the costs.

2 Likes

JIBBERS CRABST! Praise Jibbers!

2 Likes