Do you want to explain this closure?

It’s funny, we are a remote development team in 8 different timezones, and over the last 4 years we’ve moved from three different chat systems:

1. HipChat
  2. Kato.im
  3. Slack

In each case we threw away all chat history, and never needed to refer to the historical chat again.

(To be fair, we are rather disciplined about keeping “significant” stuff in our internal Discourse. I understand tears in rain.)

3 Likes

OK, after some internal discussion we think 200 might be too low as a default for private/personal messages, so we will bump this to 500 default.

As always, site owners can override either of these numbers as they see fit.

4 Likes

Bingo! If people thought that their communications were disposable they’d be in a chat!

Hmmm. But they’re not!

Hmmmm… I’d better tell them to stop talking, and that their communications should be considered disposable, and hie thee to a chat-room, go!

2 Likes
5 Likes

I would hope your internal biz chats are considered the intellectual property of the employer. Discussion on a public web-pages with no access restrictions to read and minimal requirements to allow write would seem to be different user stories.

Unless you mean to imply that we are all now Discourse employees.

http://img.pandawhale.com/post-19259-so-I-got-that-going-for-me-whi-CKYI.gif

6 Likes

Also, it is hilarious that this is the last reply in Questions

Hey, I got an idea! How about a feature that limits you to 10,000 replies? :laughing:

8 Likes

Hmm, not really. It’s more of a meditation on the meaning of a topic that has more than 10,000 replies. pssst, that means it’s a chat

2 Likes

Oh if it’s no difference then send me an invite to your slack.

1 Like

You’re welcome to post on http://meta.discourse.org any time you want; same difference.

I tried the search function and can’t find your salary. How much do you make?

At the moment I pay myself $0/month from Discourse. Not really sure where this is going, but I just got a “you’re posting too much in this topic” warning from Discourse which is probably correct at this point, so I’ll bow out.

4 Likes

You just told us our communications were disposable, and then you laughed at us.

You’re an awesome tech-writer, an incredible programmer, but you fall short in the public communications realm.

4 Likes

I’m sorry. Was I being too chatty?

An Irish seven-course dinner whenever he wants it?

4 Likes
4 Likes

Ok now that that is out of the way…

@codinghorror Would it not be possible to “hide” the first 5,000 posts in a thread (like the questions thread), similar to when a post has been repeatedly flagged and then just not load the post ID’s for those “hidden” posts unless the client either scrolled up or say clicked a button in the thread enabling viewing of said older posts?

4 Likes

Bummer. The forum that inspired me to start the game here managed to count all the way to and down from ten thousand without any technical difficulties.

I am going to have another look at this today to see if there is any way around it without major restructuring. No promises, this code is very complicated. The “stream” of ids is how we determine how many posts there are in a topic and your position, they are still in play even when the topic is collapsed.

4 Likes

Thanks. I know we have joked in the thread about breaking discourse but we don’t really want to.
And that thread has been very amusing to those of us participating.

4 Likes

Seriously – where is this stream? I’ve been looking at the responses, and can’t find them.