Do you want to explain this closure?

Hopefully it won’t be a problem, I apologize for not announcing the change sooner – this change was literally checked in last night, I didn’t realize it would be deployed here within a few hours.

If you browse the → #games ← category, for example, very very few topics come anywhere close to the 10k limit.

But yeah, anyone who visited that one 19k reply topic on mobile is gonna have a bad time.

3 Likes

They are now, anyway.

9 Likes

Did people actually read all 19k replies?

4 Likes

OMG, another n00b!

Regularly.

Plus, @japhroaig and I kept talking about someday maybe scraping the whole thread for analytics and reference. And printing, oddly and seriously enough.

8 Likes

Our working hypothesis is that topics of 10k or longer are de-facto chat, which is another thing that we want to get to.

2 Likes

Well, @funruly – looks like @codinghorror remembered, this year

An Amazon gift-card would’ve been sufficient.

11 Likes

I think now is the time to add an achievement ment badge for starting a PM with 201 replies and one for starting a public thread with 10,001 replies. :smile:

6 Likes

7 Likes

@beschizza

A collaborative project I hold very dear to my heart contained in a private message with several invitees is currently around 180 posts with much to discuss and develop. We’re no where near finished. I guess it’s not imperative that all the writing is contained within one post but it sure makes it easier to go and fetch ideas from when brainstorming the next contribution.

What should I do, send you a link to the private message, @ you within it? Suck it up and create another msg?

3 Likes
3 Likes

I recommend creating a new PM with the same participants and then pasting a link to the new PM as the last-ish message in the earlier PM. Basically a :chains:

2 Likes

It’s weird how I feel attached to the original. :cry:

1 Like

Is this meant to sound quite as much like a threat as it does?

2 Likes

In all fairness:

• The thread in question is public, not a PM;

• We always invite newbies who seem to be legitimately interesting in this site (as opposed to drive-by trollies) to the fun threads;

• We do also make good use of the private messaging system for smaller group chats.

9 Likes

Some of the newer posters claimed to have done so, or at least scanned from the beginning.

Some of us were reading from the beginning, so it hasn’t been as challenging to get up to speed.

7 Likes

You tell us?

7 Likes

Er… no? We want to build chat features, it just takes time to build software. Triply so for open source software.

Conceptually I think of it as fast lanes and slow lanes on the highway. Sometimes you want to be in the fast lane, chatting away, typing minimal sentences, going for rapid back-and-forth, and not really caring whether history is retained. But sometimes you also want to shift to the slow lane, take time to think and type full sentences and paragraphs, have more coherent fleshed out conversations, and retain full history. These are not really two different products; they’re just two lanes of the same highway.

4 Likes

Slack integration?

1 Like

Slack only stores a certain number of posts, on the free model.

10K, I think?

What a coincidence!

5 Likes