Doctors follow man's tattoo’s instructions that say "Do Not Resuscitate"

Hopefully that’s because your spouse got better, went to the bank herself and blew all the money on hats. Otherwise, goddamnitfucksorry. (Not being a dick – am myself trying to believe there will be a day when my wife can make it to the bank. And hat shop.)

2 Likes

If someone went to that much trouble to clearly state their wishes - and sign them, even - I’d be inclined to believe them. I know “inclined” isn’t enough is this situation, but it seems too bad that the ink only counts if it’s on a piece of paper filed away somewhere.

3 Likes

That’s kind of how the hospital ethics committee saw it, in the end. That the likelihood of someone getting that prominent tattoo as a joke was pretty low, and that he really probably meant it.

6 Likes

OCR font + barcode / QR-code linking to website?

2 Likes

Please, do this.

Tattooed QR Code that links to a database that requires a hospital or ambulance paramedic ID to sign in.

4 Likes

I’d think that if the person truly regretted getting the tattoo, then they’d tattoo an X over it. Or the signature, at the very least.

ETA: Or the “not” part.

4 Likes

Hang on, I’m starting to have second thoughts about this giant “DNR” tattoo I got on my chest.

It’s not that I don’t love my job at the state Department of Natural Resources, but…

8 Likes

I feel like this is good news for evil tattooists, the modern-day evil hypnotists.

1 Like

She’s still unable to travel, i cling to hope that it will change some day but its a very small sliver of hope at this point. The person who originally opened the account for her at the bank branch 20 years ago when she could travel still worked there. We talked directly to that person, explained the situation, and got them to agree to bend the rules and do what was needed with the account with me being the courier for signed papers and no in person bank visit.

Another time I got the branch manager to agree to open a new joint accouht without an in person visit from my spouse to sign the signature card by swearing In their presence. This was a petty bureaucrat enjoying their exercise of power. Cursing appeard to focus their vicious little brain on solving the problem instead of telling me in great detail how the problem could not be solved. And yes, that was an account that we opened over the phone with telephone banking, because nothing tells the world how modern and up to date you are like making it seem like you can do stuff over the phone or via the internet right up to the very last bit where suddenly your customers are required to bring a live chicken to the sacred temple for sacrifice before they are allowed to open a new account.

Banks should make their employees wear robes, then at least we’d all be unsurprised to discover that banking is a special sphere with special and archaic rules from the distant past like the legal system.

4 Likes

Had the tat looked very new then I think they’d have had fair concern. That doesn’t (I am not a tatooist) look like it was done in the preceding 24 hours to me. There was surely time for him to get a picture of a wombat on top of the text if he had changed his mind.

I’m trying to resuscitate right now, it’s Monday after all.

2 Likes

What if this was just a clever band name. Superfan art kills man?

3 Likes

I thought all chips were death chips. Have you seen how much sodium in them things?

While they technically resuscitated him, they did not violate his DNR tattoo. DNR orders are only about CPR and intubation/ventilation. To avoid the interventions that were done, he would have also needed a “comfort measures only” or “no icu transfer” tattoo.

One of my pulmonologist friends jokes about getting a tattoo on her palate that says, “if you can see this, you’ve gone too far.”

5 Likes

Sorry - it wasn’t notarized.

We always look for medic alert bracelets/necklaces/wallet inserts. If you wore a necklace with a medic alert symbol and a dogtag with a url and password stamped it in, it would be found quickly.

3 Likes

Ah, cool – thanks for the explanation!

Doctors are also trying to track down “Sammy Jankis” and wondering whether or not they should “believe his lies”.

2 Likes

The only time I’d assume this wasn’t meant to be taken seriously would be if an unconscious frat boy was wheeled in with alcohol poisoning and the DNR instructions were written in sharpie marker alongside crudely drawn pictures of penises.

4 Likes

My husband and I are fighting a similar battle, even though there is a state law saying banks (and all businesses) MUST follow a power of attorney documents, period. It’s crazy making. (In our case, there’s no particular reason, other than that we have it, we signed it, and it’s the law.)