Documentary about martial arts fraudsters and fakes

And Now For Something Completely Related.

1 Like

I don’t recognize that. What is that from? Did I miss a Green Hornet Remake?

1 Like

MMA is far from “real fighting”. It’s sport. Big difference. Is fighting involved? Oh yeah. Is pain, injury, and possible death involved? Oh yeah. But it ain’t “real”. This is exactly what I was talking about. The idea that sport fighting is the same as actual combat is both sad, and, potentially, dangerous. BTW, by “real” here I mean an emotional and mental component present in actual fighting that is totally unknown in sport, and one that has a definite impact on the way the body functions.

10 bucks?

1 Like

That’s from Tarantino’s latest, “Once Upon a Time in Hollywood”. Another one of his revenge fantasy flicks. It’s excellent.

Well, yeah, that’s pretty much what I was getting at when I said

We can all agree that “real” fighting is not something one practices on a competitive level. “Real” fighting ends up either with concussions or gouging or something ugly, or two doofuses pawing at each other like drunk bears trying to open a garbage can. But MMA is still the closest to “real” fighting as any combat sport by virtue of the blending of all combat sports, and if one is going to be in a fight, the MMA practitioner is usually going to beat an equally skilled practitioner in any other discipline.

1 Like

It’s all about developing your “inner strength.” Which is why the Mistresses of the Kegel Arts beat them all.

7 Likes

If Count Dante was fake why was is ad in every comicbook I’ve ever read?

I have a mix of beautiful niblings. Dad was a presbytarian minister so some grow up with religious parents and others with parents who won’t have a bar of it.

One under-10 church going nephew often asks me if I believe in jesus/god. He knows I don’t but he asks at the family dinner table and he asks when we’re hanging out together at the park etc - about once a year. He can’t seem to get his head around the fact that this ONE respected adult in his circle of trust isn’t in on the cult.

One day in the car he asks me if I believe in yeti. I fumbled around the evidence question for a second before settling on my go-to answer for the god question…“well, he’s real for those who believe in him.”

1 Like

Meh, I disagree. Like any combat sport, MMA has rules that dramatically skew the effectiveness of various tactics. One of my first thoughts upon seeing MMA was “Why aren’t these guys getting smashed in the back of the head when they recklessly charge in for a grapple like that?” Turns out there’s a rule against it, that’s why. And so a tactic that would otherwise be risky and used judiciously, is instead risk-free and gets used very liberally, and the whole affair tilts very far into grappling as a result. The rule against low blows also dramatically impacts the course of the fights, advantaging tactics that disregard the protection of one’s nuts in favor of better mobility or offense. Likewise the prohibition on deliberately breaking bones precludes entire martial arts styles that focus on that.

2 Likes

Bullshido!

5 Likes

BlueLinearBlackbear-small

2 Likes

5c0cc9897654c86330532980e486af3c

5 Likes

There’s also the difference between social violence and asocial violence. In some ways MMA or any sportified martial art bears more in common with a bar fight than it does with trying to survive a mugging: a central purpose is social discourse (really!) and that, in part, guides what behavior is sanctioned and what’s illegal or taboo.

If someone is coming after you with real intent to kill, your BJJ grapple is probably not going to be the best move in most circumstances.

2 Likes

For some time I’ve wanted to see his pillow to get a handle on how much shoe polish ends up the pillowcase. I/m betting it looks like someone dumped India ink on a mop head and went to town.

But, you recognize why no combat sport can truly be without rules that necessarily limit some techniques, right? The fact that fighters would be quickly blind, crippled, and have mashed up genitals (RIP Joe Son’s dick), and rather quickly dead if there were not limitations is probably one of the most important. Hell, the notion of a no rules hand-to-hand fight is bullshit in itself. If you wanted to make it “real”, you should probably be allowed to bring a couple of guns to the fight as well as three or four friends.

To say nothing of the fact that it’s going to be pretty difficult to get a contract the ESPN or sponsor ships from legitimate businesses for fights that routinely end in permanent disability and disfigurement.

I think the point is more that of the major combat sports, MMA is probably the closest to “real fighting” as any.

2 Likes

I agree but I did not say MMA. I said UFC back when it started. There were no rules except no biting and no running away.

2 Likes

Seagal, at one point, was a legit Akido master.

2 Likes

Yep. There is no universal objective truth other than … maths. We all have to yield elements to our groupings, yin and yang with them, to bump along.

We’re all susceptible to the incremental erosion technique, or progressive exposure. That’s why we train kids to be on the look-out for the initial spark, not the sweeping torrent. Keep away and stay sane.

As for this martial arts stuff. Oh boy. I’ve trained in karate, judo, ju-jitsu, kendo and aikido. There are no magic tricks - just more knowledge, speed, balance, power and training. Yes there are wonderful techniques and heart-stopping strikes, yes walloping the right place on the back of the neck makes someone go unconscious instantly (instructor did it to me haha!), yes an almost zero touch strike can KO someone (I did it by accident), but waving of hands mystically and staring at goats does do nothing at all. Nothing.

Mentalism cannot defy the law of physics. What it can do though is confuse and discombobulate an opponent. Which is what Muhammed Ali used to do when he chattered to them, and roped dopes.

Self-belief is powerful and communicative. But put it against a Krav Maga expert with a single-minded focus and you’re mincemeat.

2 Likes

PS for the record, Donnie Yen (the Ip Man series of movies - the good ones) is broadly recognised as likely to have the most effective martial arts in practical reality, out of all the performers and stars.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.