Documenting every remaining slave house in the US

Seth Meyers Reaction GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

17 Likes

Perhaps more than a mere one or two as museums to make them more easily accessible?

5 Likes

They’re already concentrated in one part of the country anyway… I think @Melizmatic has the right of it. Keeping them around isn’t helping us to come to terms with the past, they are far too often contributing to the problem.

11 Likes

People get why re-purposing a concentration camp would be a hideous thing to do.

This should be no different. At all.

ETA: I guess there’s one group of people that don’t get either of these things as problematic… but thats the fucking point!!

16 Likes

odo-precisely

14 Likes

It’s almost like erasing the palpable legacy of history isn’t super healthy for our species. /s

11 Likes

The last US Civil War veteran widow died last year. People still fly the Confederate battle standard.

Too fucking soon.

17 Likes

To think how many people are alive today whose great grandparents and even grandparents were slaves. This is not ancient history here.

The flip side is also true. There are many white people alive today who aren’t very far removed, at all, from the people who rebelled against the country during the Civil War.

My personal belief is, it’s very difficult for many people to really understand arcs of time much beyond a single human lifetime. This is especially true for privileged classes.

And just look at the last several human lifetimes on planet Earth. A bit has changed. I think this too makes it particularly difficult to really comprehend the recency of events just outside of our own personal horizon. And the very lasting and real affects of things that just didn’t actually happen very long ago.

Which is why it just needs to be addressed and hammered on as much as possible. I am finding it pretty sad that so far, this timeline is turning more into the Stand than any kind of a reasonable evolution of our society toward the betterment of all… :tired_face:

2 Likes

Do we think the Rebel grey groomsmen’s suits are intentional or not?

5 Likes

Fixed that for you.

5 Likes

True that.

2 Likes

When I did my Google Images search for “Plantation House Wedding”, the first image that caught my eye was the one below. When I zoomed in to see the participants, I thought, “That’s strange. Maybe it is a flex, with this couple showing that they can now freely pose in front of the Big House; or maybe they are tone-deaf.”

2 Likes

That looks like a PR photo of the type used in advertising by venues.

4 Likes

“One” of the country’s original sins…

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.