Real-estate listing takes sinister turn on slide 30

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/08/17/real-estate-listing-takes-sini.html

12 Likes

Yeah, I saw this post somewhere else this weekend (one of the other 5 services that repost each others content) and loved it. The main part of the house is lovely and charming with nicely done renovations, and the jail part is just super, super cool. I can totally see why it was left, what a great place to hold roleplaying game sessions, or setup as a game/entertainment area. Certainly a conversation starter.

15 Likes

Only $350k? Man, you can get a lot more house for the $$ in Missouri than anywhere I’ve ever lived.

17 Likes

You missed the “Fayette Historic Preservation Commission” placard on slide 59. I’m not sure about Missouri, but in most places owning a “heritage property” like this sucks. It means that doing any work at all on the place gets shuffled through an endless series permits and committees, probably getting denied.

27 Likes

I store my Amazon deliveries back here…

32 Likes

I’m sure the rules vary everywhere but I live in a 1907 house that is within a “historic district” in my city. As long as I don’t want to make major structural changes that change the look of the street-facing exterior of the building I’m good. Much less restrictive than most HOAs.

19 Likes

That guy sure orders a lot of lotion!

17 Likes

This varies case-by-case AND by district. Some historical districts/sites have astonishingly draconian rules.

There’s an old mill rotting in MD I always wished could be restored but the local laws state it can only be restored as a working mill. Thus, no one is interested and the property slowly deteriorates, instead of keeping it in some kind of decent shape. It’ll be gone, besides the crumbling stone exterior, within 50 years, if not less.

Think “HOA with less intelligence.”

@llamaspit Hey, these take up a LOT of space, ya know?

9 Likes

Is it though?

13 Likes

After the revolution, where better to keep the rich before they’re led away to the guillotine…er, SUV-mounted laser?

6 Likes

Love it. This would make a really fun themed AirB&B.

7 Likes

well, the downside is you have to live in rural Missouri.

23 Likes

Yeah, been there, done that. Never again.

6 Likes

Honestly, that sounds pretty good. HOAs also suck.

We could make progressive political gentrification a thing. :man_shrugging:

11 Likes

Yeah, apparently that must be one heck of a downside. There are plenty of charming looking houses in that city for well under $100k. Forget the land value- the construction cost alone on a house like this one would probably be several times that:

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/202-N-Cleveland-St_Fayette_MO_65248_M88391-63688?view=qv

4 Likes

Where meth practically grows on trees!

2 Likes

I can see the logic behind leaving the jail section there-- whoever owns this fancy house can keep their collection of rare collectibles/art/antiques in there.

1 Like

New homeowner: Can I at least let open the door to let the guy in cell number 5 out?
Preservation commission: Heavens no. He’s been in there since the Truman administration, so he’s a cherished part of our history now!

21 Likes

The drag is that EVERY time people go missing, the cops are going to be hassling you first and wanting to check your dungeon. And it’s like, fellas, it’s not ALWAYS me.

15 Likes