DoD office can't process FOIAs because fax machine broken, no money for new one

I know let’s call anon to do it.

If we can ever convince the sod to stop looking at cats and ponies and such.

Dude! Pentagon Guys, CALL ME! I’ve got a Brother that was used for HIPAA-secure communication, ON THE HOUSE! Hell, I’ll ship it to ya, what’s the address?

2 Likes

I want to see the YouTube video of someone trying to deliver a new fax machine to the DoD.

2 Likes

No, that’s how you say it in AMERICA! Do you hate FISCAL RESPONSIBILITY? Are you a witch… err communist … err terrorist? I’m Sorry for the last one. I keep forgetting which century we are in.

1 Like

$50 at Amazon.

Meh. They get Fedex and UPS like anyplace else. It all just takes forever because of all the TSA-style mail monitoring these days. I just like the idea that bunch of otherwise disorganized citizens have banded together to equip them and rob them of their excuses in a way they cannot deny.

I’ve have a FOIA request sit for months before being answered at another agency. They move like molasses, even in the best of times.

I do find it interesting that this story pops up just at the very time of year when I have actually seen admin people racing up and down halls, bugging people to tell them what all equipment they would like because there was still money in the past year’s budget. They insist on making sure every dime gets spent, so as to ensure at least that much again the coming year. It’s sick. But this story is a reverse on that theme.

And that’s why I thought it might be their way of pitching a little bitch fit over budget cuts. If they just wanted to stop doing faxed requests, then they could just say so, right? The only other possible explanation that comes to mind is perhaps somebody being mad at having a particular FOIA request ignored, and looking to shower DoD with some negative press over it. (Though, they could probably get farther by getting with their congress critter’s office and making a formal inquiry.)

If this is true, why wouldn’t they post the problem on their website such as, “Due to equipment failure, we can not process requests via fax machines”? An office responsible for releasing information should be a little better at sharing information about themselves.

Or how about, “We are not accepting requests via fax machine at this time”. Again if true, this is the equivalent of someone not clearing voice messages for the purpose of not having to respond.

While the logical answer is buy a fax machine online for $5o, seems simple enough often times corps and in this instance the military have to use preferred vendors. Additionally with these preferred vendors only certain models will pass certification to be introduced to the environment. Because of this these vendors only offer higher end equipment, factor in that this office hasn’t budgeted the few thousand dollars a new device can cost (because they wrap in all into one multifunction copier than does a lot more than faxing) and their purchase order for the year is already exhausted thus they cannot move on a new unit until the new budget is approved. Now granted a lot of corps will just approve adding monies to the PO to keep things rolling but with the sequester who knows.

Source: currently employed (3+ yrs) by a top 2 copy machine/network printer, office services, managed document company.

2 Likes

Let them hold a bake sale to raise the money.

Mail and online methods are, in fact, mentioned in the linked article.

DoD = He-Man in this pic:

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view2/3796071/he-man-skeet-shooting-o.gif

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.