So I recently got around to watching the first couple episodes of Arrow on Netflix and I noticed that some plot elements looked familiar:
- A less-than-heroic wealthy American playboy disappears for 5-7 years somewhere in East Asia
- Though presumed dead by friends and family, he’s actually embarking on a spiritual journey of self-discovery while mastering incredible new skills from a mysterious mentor
- Said playboy realizes the error of his former ways and returns to his city and uses those newfound skills to fight crime as a masked vigilante superhero
This was also the starting point for both 2005’s Batman Begins and 1994’s The Shadow, so I was wondering:
- What other superheroes went this route? (Tony Stark almost qualifies but the movie adaptation changed his abduction site to Afghanistan and made Dr. Yinsen into a surgeon rather than an engineering mentor.) Is it common enough to have its own name yet?
- Do would-be-superhero-playboys from East Asia train in the deepest parts of the American Midwest to master the mystical art of shooting stuff with guns?