Dog rescued from icy river turns out to be wolf

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/02/22/dog-rescued-from-icy-river-tur.html

28 Likes

Wonderful indeed Rob. Happy Friday.

24 Likes

Glad the wolf was out of it enough to remain calm while he was being rescued.

26 Likes

I’m happy for the wolf, but they better go back there and make sure it was really an icy river.

15 Likes

Well, how the hell’s he supposed to find Grandma’s house now?

34 Likes

I mean, what’s the difference? A wolf is just a dog whose ancestors mostly didn’t live in houses. It’s like saying “man rescued from icy river turns out to be hillbilly”

12 Likes

Are you saying hillbillys have been bred for their friendly nature and obedience?
If so, by whom?

11 Likes

We saw a dog a few weeks ago and my immediate reaction was to say “my, but what big ears you have”. So some dogs retain the large ears that stand up straight.

This was in a big city, the dog was on a leash, and I think we saw it in the paper afterwards, named “Angus”, so I didn’t confuse a dog with a wolf.

2 Likes

Good boy!

You’re all good boys!!!

25 Likes

Before his return to the wild, the wolf released a statement, “Thank you, and I promise not to eat you.”

5 Likes

Sure. In the same way that chimps are just humans whose ancestors mostly didn’t live in houses :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Some weeks later, a mysterious blond woman wearing an ankle monitor was spotted in the woods, tracking the wolf. When she found him, he rolled over and offered her his belly to rub, having already decided humans posed no threat.

“You’re beautiful, and you will live with me” she breathed in a confident, husky voice.

“I will call you…Balto.”

17 Likes

What a good boy!!!

9 Likes

Well, under ordinary circumstances you would want to give a wolf its distance and certainly not try to carry it. It is a wild animal after all, whereas domesticated animals are by definition gradually selected for docility towards humans over many many generations. Technically a wolf is a dog, but most people mean Canis domesticus by the word unless otherwise indicated.

Also, yay, pupper chaser is the way to start the morning!

10 Likes

It’s ridiculous, but I think he means to compare the hillbilly to the wolf, i.e., NOT bred for their friendly nature. WE sophisticated city-dwellers have been bred for a friendly nature and obedience. I think that’s what he meant. For the analogy to make any sense, I think you have to go a bit further back than hillbilly, though.

2 Likes

Except that wolves and dogs are the same species, whereas humans and chimps aren’t even the same genus, or at least, if chimps and peeps can successfully interbreed, they’re keeping quiet about it

2 Likes

Yup, different life choices of their ancestors led to quite different results for humans and chimps and also for dogs and wolves. Of course dogs split from wolves a considerably shorter time ago, but an attentive observer can already spot some differences between a grey wolf and, say, a dachshund.

4 Likes

Thank you for nearly making my coffee shoot out my nose.
Do you have a podcast? Because I would totally subscribe based on your comment.

3 Likes

Look out!

5 Likes

Yep, just call cougars Fluffy.
You’ll be fine.

11 Likes