Dogs use Earth's magnetic fields to determine where to poop

Get a (bath)room, you two!

8 Likes

It did win the IgNobel in biology for 2014 (which is when the paper was excreted)

11 Likes

That’s a thoroughly great idea and I reserve the right to steal it someday. Could sneak some rare earth magnets beneath the tiles at strategic points for an as yet undetermined parlor trick…

4 Likes

Yes… yes they do.

2 Likes

Party pooper.

Also, I don’t know if these researchers designed their experiment properly, but anecdotal evidence isn’t a re(butt)al to statistical results. If you want to rebut stats, you need to show either the experiment was flawed, the data was cherry-picked or the context of the data was elided in a manner skewing the results. Which happens.

5 Likes

About this study: Does it apply to all breeds or just specificaly the
Shih tzu?

Can anyone shed a little light on this?

4 Likes

Read the article, went out with one of my hounds. Pooped almost perfectly along an east-west axis.

3 Likes

I can’t think of a time my dog didn’t poop east-west

2 Likes

i remember hearing this a while back and i started paying attention. mind you I’m in a city and i suppose there are distractions, but although my dog does spin around a lot and take his time deciding a location and position, Ive actually taken note of which way was north and there does not seem to be a specific direction. its always random. both in a grassy area of the park and on sidewalks.

3 Likes

Shouldn’t that brand be “sharpei”?

12 Likes

I’m north-south pooping right now!

2 Likes

There’s a Trump joke in there somewhere but I can’t quite find it.

1 Like

Try looking in a dog’s ass? Gots ta be a goldmine for Trump jokes.

2 Likes

I concur. I once accidently locked my cat (at the time… RIP Hobbes) in our living room while at work, which for some odd reason had a door. Prevent Hobbes from getting to the litter box.

How that little feline produced that much… objection… defies logic. Ruined our Ikea starter couch, too.

4 Likes

Some dogs just poop for beauty.

9 Likes

Do dogs turn counter clockwise in the Southern Hemisphere? I need a research grant STAT!

Edit: I was beaten to this question by @teknocholer. I don’t mind, so long as I get my name on the final paper.

2 Likes

Uh don’t build a pointer to magnetic north into your house. Its not going to be valid for long.

@euansmith

Do dogs turn counter clockwise in the Southern Hemisphere?

My son has a dog. I will ask him and get back to you.

Personally, I have no idea why dogs would need to do this. Is it part of a navigation mechanism? Maybe thats it. Finding their way home in conditions where their eyes and nose are no use.

edit: the toilet in my flat, and the toilets in my previous house all point either north or south. I wonder if there is something to this?

3 Likes

Jinx! Usual rules apply.

And @YankInNewZealand has already given a definitive answer to the question, so I don’t see you getting funding just to reproduce their research.

1 Like

This more in line with their fang-shuei. They are more scent-based than electrodogmatic.

2 Likes

Come on, old chap; we, at the Royal Academy of Emeritus Know-it-alls aren’t just going to take the word of some colonials on the matter. Quickly, Butler, assemble my Expeditionary Ensemble; and don’t forget to pack the Excreta Orientation Discriminator! We don’t want a repeat of our trip to Cowpatagonia!

5 Likes