Don Martin sound effects Considered Harmful

Continuing the discussion from Don Martin’s sound effects (alphabetical order):

And I pulled @cjwinchester’s rows of javascript arrays into rows of javascript objects that are bundled as a node.js module. My use-case is a presentation of google-images based on the sound effect description [in-progress].

1 Like

Word! Lemme know when it lands.

hey – you’re in Omaha. Is “The Merchants of Venus” still open? I grew up in Madison, SD, and visited there a couple of times. Back in the 80s. yikes. And I bought a Dr. Who comic in some flea market.

I do not know? Been here less than a year – came down here from Sioux Falls. So.

Preliminary Version - F5 to refresh.

If image fails to load, there is no indication.
If image takes a long time to load, there is no indication.

Image is stretched to fill whole-screen, which sometimes (often?) crops out useful parts of the image.
Not sure if I want this.

Only an image + SFX are displayed; no annotations as per origin, etc.

UPDATE 2014.01.23: redo search on image-load failure, click on image to view original size; hover over image to view description, issue, date; pulls 10 image URLs and picks one at random.

NOTE: I abandoned the node.js+browserify approach because the node-google-image-search module I was using actually wrote the image to the file-system then streamed it out. Which is a problem for browserify. so I went straight to the client. c’est la vie.

1 Like

This is hilarious, by the way. :thumbsup:

Thanks!

Still a problem with some image-loading; maybe I’ll set a time-out to do another search, or grab a different image…

Much thanks to @cjwinchester his javascriptification of the list as the core inspiration.

One thing: I think the page should somehow show the link between what is happening and the Don Martin sound effect. E.g, provide context if someone randomly arrives on the page.

1 Like

Some sort of on-screen info that can appear to give, uh, on-screen info, and disappear to not interfere with the display has been on my wish-list for… 1.5 years? Always something more “fun” to work on (or paying, to work on. ugh).

So, this was finally a kick in the butt.

I implemented a quick version over lunch that initially displays on page-load, fades out, then appears/disappears on hover. And displays citations for Don Martin, the DM Dictionary and CJ’s original code inspiration.

Still a few bugs in the system, since the initial fade-out will cause mouse-overs to be put into a queue… which then gets all “blinky” if the mouse has moved around.

Thanks for the push!

1 Like

The metadata fades away awful fast, I can barely read it! Let me dismiss it manually maybe?

I also want a way to “load another one” without hitting F5. Like a “Try Another One!” button.

1 Like

The hover-notes at the bottom, or the title-tag on the image?

SPACE to load another. (it’s in the bottom hover notes. whatever it’s called).

Click-to-dismiss/hover to appear isn’t a bad idea.

I had trouble with getting click and hover not interfere with each other, so I went with mouseenter/mouseleave. Also put the description+pub-date into the info-box.

Eh. second iteration.

I would also like to display the source of the image, and take care of long-loading images.

This topic was automatically closed after 1129 days. New replies are no longer allowed.