Donald Trump's face appears in tub of organic butter

Ha ha, stupid hippies, they don’t know that a word can only have one meaning.

1 Like

Stupid hippies indeed.

Organic has entirely become a term used to falsely justify charging double for the same thing and is essentially meaningless when it comes to informing what’s been farmed responsibly and what something’s nutrient contents are.

Sure this butter’s organic. But so is botulinum toxin, lead dust, and sulfuric acid, by their own standards.

5 Likes

3 Likes

Well, it’s always been useless for determining the nutritional content of food. That wasn’t what organic certification was supposed to do in the first place.

Also, I think “essentially meaningless” is a stretch. Here are the regs for USDA certified organic:

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=3f34f4c22f9aa8e6d9864cc2683cea02&tpl=/ecfrbrowse/Title07/7cfr205_main_02.tpl

The upshot is that it’s entirely possible to engage in irresponsible farming while still achieving organic certification, but it’s much less likely as at least some of the regulations do make a lot of sense, and the producers need to at least fool (or bribe) the regulators into think they are in compliance.

That is, organic certification should increase the likelihood that a particular product was produced responsibly. It cannot guarantee it, but it’s a rare regulation that can guarantee anything at all ever. I’d need a lot more information to decide whether organic certification has any good results, but with my current background knowledge, I’d give at least 5:1 odds that it does.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.