Don't brush your teeth -- do oil-pulling instead

I imagine this would work well for people who have old-timer wooden teeth, especially if you use mineral oil. Modern toothpastes can just ruin the veneer.

9 Likes

So what kind of oil are we supposed to use? 10W-30? WD40? 2-Cycle?

This thing sounds awful sketchy to me too, but is it really that hard to attack it on the merits instead of making up strawmen? It’s perfectly reasonable to expect a reader to understand “oil” to mean “food-grade oil”, and to arbitrarily say “20 minutes” for something that takes more than 5 but less than 45. Would you get all huffily pedantic if someone said they’d stir-fried some veggies in oil for 20 minutes?

4 Likes

I love coconut oil, and I love hippity dippity nonsense, so I actually tried this out. Spoonful of coconut oil, swish for 20 minutes.

My verdict? Waste of time.

My teeth felt the same, and were certainly not clean (I scraped some gunk off of a few of the tougher to reach ones with a fingernail. My lips felt a little less chapped.

Oddly enough, the only thing that seemed different was that two of my fillings looked bright and shiny. Admittedly, I don’t spend a lot of time gazing at my fillings, so that could be coincidence.

Coconut oil and baking soda are an excellent cleaner, you can scrub all sorts of stuff off with it. So perhaps it would be more effective if you mixed coconut oil and baking soda and then swished that. But realistically, coconut oil and baking soda is the start of a homemade toothpaste recipe, so if you’re doing that, you might as well just swish with toothpaste for 20 minutes.

And, bluntly, if you’re doing that, you might as well just brush your teeth.

9 Likes

“How to make a gullible person remain quiet for twenty minutes.”

10 Likes

I hope a dentist didn’t really spell it “flouride.”

2 Likes

If I hadn’t read the other article to verify that someone actually tried this, I would have attributed it to leg-pulling. But apparently people will fall for this.

I once heard a long time ago that if you peed on your balls you wouldn’t catch the clap. I’m sure the only reason for spreading that rumor was to get people to pee on their balls. Maybe coconut oil would work.

I have phases were I’ll brush with baking soda, gently scrub away then swish with water and the aftermath. Gargle, rinse well. I do this for the sense of frugality.

Rum swishing did help a weekend toothache till the Monday dentist appointment.

alkaline + fat = soap. So coconut oil and baking soda at least has a plausible mechanism as a cleaner. I’m not sure oil on its own has any plausibility as a cleaner on its own.

1 Like

Well, in that case…

But I think all it does for me is make me far more likely to do intensely stupid and/or regrettable things, so there’s that.
Still, to each his own! Double shot, Cuervo w/lime, thanks.

My mom used to make her own cough syrup. I pint of Jack, with a couple of candy canes dissolved it it. Worked great, actually.

1 Like

Actually conventional filters won’t remove flouride. Reverse osmosis ones do, but they waste like 10-20 times the amount of water you get out of them - the filtered out stuff is slightly concentrated in the large volume of waste water to produce the small volume of filtered water.

Not that that validates the anti-fluoridation business any.

My own issue with fluoridation is just that it seems so inefficient - I buy fluoridated toothpaste specifically for direct application to my teeth, with which it stays in contact for a fair stretch of time. Drinking water barely touches my teeth at all - not to mention the vast majority of the potable water piped into the house that’s not even ingested at all, but used for watering the garden, bathing, flushing toilets, etc.

If healthy teeth need more fluoride, add a tiny percentage more to the toothpaste instead of fluoridating the toilet tank.

1 Like

Misses the point about people who’s parents don’t make them use fluoridated toothpaste every day when they’re kids. Also, they use waste fluoride for it, so it’s not as if we’re specifically extracting and refining fluoride to waste that way.

1 Like

No his careless BIL was reading from a phone and quickly typing into a pc. (Was logged into BB on the pc)

I don’t from from anything, but we had an excellent midwife and she had my wife take castor oil for some reason. Possibly to induce or enhance labour. Me I just stood there and tried not to be terrified.

3 Likes

(1) Portland just had a vote last spring to keep fluoride out of their water. It’s never had it. Last time I visited, a month ago, most people were still using toothpaste.

(2) I read the post and tried it with olive oil while washing the dishes. Swishing anything around in your mouth for that long seems like forever. I don’t like the oily taste/feeling in my mouth much, so I brushed right afterwards (with tooth powder… I haven’t used regular toothpaste in years). My teeth feel smoother and my mouth feels fresher than it normally does but one swish doesn’t mean it’s a better thing than paste.

(3) The companies marketing to dentists and us about tooth-care products usually aren’t in it to make our dental health better. They’re in business to make money. I take their claims with a grain of salt.

(4) In an era where millions more americans have health insurance than a month ago, they are often still without dental insurance. So if there’s anything that is inexpensive and can prevent thousands of dollars of bills with a dentist, I’m all for it.

1 Like

Whale.

2 Likes

The old timey way is to use a willow branch. Contains salycylic acid. That’s what my grandmother did growing up on the rez.

1 Like

Given that the first ten pages on Google didn’t turn up a single even remotely scientific source, I can sort of guess what they’d have to say.

I have a hard time believing that coating your teeth in organic material is going to do anything other than provide bacteria with a snack.

7 Likes

The Listerine I use at home is 21.6% alcohol, and alcohol isn’t even one of the “active” ingredients, although higher concentrations would work better for killing bacteria. Perhaps I should start stocking ever-clear beneath the sink. I think there’s some law or something that says drinkable alcohol can’t be “medicinal”.

1 Like

Seems to work for Ke$ha. Or was that whiskey?