Down with April Fools' Day

My fav was to use a small piece of plastic wrap in the shaker head. No one got hurt, and I probably contributed to slightly lower blood pressure.

1 Like

Well, I personally look forward to using these screencaps next time there’s a thread about gun control, gaming or feminism which will inevitably draw out the crazies…

2 Likes

Oh come now! What could be more wonderful that this (even in all this pixelated glory)?

1 Like

Pranks are excellent. There are good ones and there are bad ones, but it’s not as if tricking someone isn’t funny. If the prank is good and the ‘victim’ has a sense of humour they too will find it funny because of the premise: a balanced person can see that the situation is funny, even if they are the subject at the time. As long as there’s no actual damage or harm all that’s being hurt is someone’s ego and smashing egos is fun.

I also find Oliver’s opening example to be rather weak since a large number of his own show’s bits are based on deception that is then revealed. An example that comes to mind is on a show a couple weeks ago he was talking about a south american country. The infographic thingie showed one country on the map illuminated, and his like went something like “you know so little about this country: that’s not even it, this is!” Before illuminating a different country on the map. Being deceived is funny, especially when it shows up the incorrect assumptions we made in getting to being deceived.

I’m sure I’ve told this story before, but once I left the office and one of my colleague’s cars was parked in front of the building, handbag on the front seat, front passenger door ajar, and keys in the ignition. On my way out I’d noticed the person whose car it was talking to someone in the office. I decided a lesson about care with personal possessions was in order so I quickly jumped in the car, moved it two spaces forward, then left it exactly as I’d found: door ajar, keys in ignition. When the person finally left to office the look on her face was priceless - the panic and mystery of the situation had set in. When she saw my smiling face driving past she knew exactly what had happened and by the next day she found it quite amusing.

PS: I kinda feel like we need to make Oliver the April Fools surprise celebrity death.

2 Likes

Confusion pranks are funny (covering everything in a cube in tin foil, giving gifts in fish bowls, being announced as a lost child on the intercom in a department store when you are an adult).

Have I ever had real friends…?

All I’ve ever really done on april fools day is methodically go to every website to see if they did anything, or if the individuals I know on those sites did anything, and enjoying the surreality of whatever silly thing they did, since it’s pretty much always silly things like a webcomic changing the comic into something bizarre or two friends switching names and user icons or like that one time a website I was on turned everyone’s icons into random strange youtube videos. I usually can’t think of anything sufficiently funny or strange so I just sit around and laugh. If I did participate, that’s what I’d do - silly and confusing things that aren’t hurtful because everyone involved can already see it’s not serious. So I’ll just go on as I was. I guess I can promise if someone is a jerk I’ll tell them they are, but I haven’t come to that bridge yet.

The first year that all of the big webcomics (ok, many of them, I don’t know about all) switched artists for April Fool’s was pretty awesome. I feel really old though, because I feel like that was at least 15 years ago.

1 Like

There’s a show called Prank it Forward that has this theme. I saw this video going around the interwebs not too long ago - thought it was a good one:

Amen. I basically disconnect from the Internet on April 1.

Wouldn’t you have to disconnect from March 31 until the end of April 2?

Depends what timezone you’re in, I suppose.

Also, it’s really not that hard to avoid April Fool’s pranks as well.

How about this one?

Can totally get behind this sort of thing:

1 Like

Lotta killjoys in this thread.

I, personally, LOVE April Fools’ Day. I see it as the spiritual counterpart of Halloween. On Halloween, we change ourselves for a day in the spirit of fun (I don’t care how it started, it’s the spirit of fun now). On April Fools Day, we change the universe around us, present alternative realities, and just have fun exploring the bounds of possibility.

Sure, some people are going to be jerks and do it in a mean way. And not everybody’s going to be funny. But that’s no reason to abandon the joy of indulging in flights of the imagination.

4 Likes

I like pranks where the target is laughing the hardest at the end, anything else just seems kind of mean.

ThinkGeek is the best example of this, I think.

1 Like

My impression is that it’was really big in Britain, and that sort over the top absurdity was imported via the internet…

Probably. You can rely on the intertron to drag everything down to the lowest common denominator.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.