Download every NFT (all 17 terabytes) for free using this torrent

Originally published at: Download every NFT (all 17 terabytes) for free using this torrent | Boing Boing

3 Likes

(all 17 terabytes)

5 Likes

24 Likes

Well, I guess if you want something this useless, you’ll need somewhere to store it!

6 Likes

Cool, but no.

It’s interesting that you have a collection of things that are, ostensibly, valuable individually, but by collecting them all together, they become worthless. Curation would make them valuable again, or some historic context, but as they are, they’re just a big digital trash pile.

4 Likes

The best description I’ve heard of NFTs are they are just fancy links to a cloud drive.

The other funny thing is you could use a script to change one pixel of every one of them and they would be all not the original NFTs (although copyright would I assume still be an issue).

4 Likes

AKA: The Internet.

6 Likes

Amusingly, given that quite a few NFTs(possibly the majority, I don’t really follow the details) just encode a URL in the blockchain, rather than the actual data, it’s very likely indeed that ‘pirate’ copies of the actual data at the now-dead link will be the only way the owner of the NFT will be able to access the thing it is supposed to represent.

The such crypto, much unforgeable, such distributed ledger, wow, ‘ownership’ record will still be present and correct; but it’ll be in roughly the same position as the fiat currency of a fallen nation state; no longer pointing to anything of interest.

11 Likes

How is this different from making a digital copy of someone’s Bitcoin wallet USB?
Which I also do not understand.

1 Like

5ut20f

6 Likes

The difference being that some of the things on the internet actually are valuable, but if anything they’re under-valued.

Well, the image is not the NFT. (You can retroactively remove/change the image/file associated with an NFT at any point.) You could just re-host the exact same file at a different address and mint a new NFT from that without having to change anything. Or use the same address to mint an NFT at another service. (I’m assuming you can’t mint more than one NFT from the same URL on the same service, but I don’t actually know for a fact if that’s universally true.) The actual issue is copyright infringement relative to copying the images, which changing a pixel doesn’t impact, but that’s separate from an NFT issues. But in many cases, the person selling the NFT has no rights to the image in the first place, so…

4 Likes

It’s funny, but it won’t matter to the obsessive collectors and the crypto speculators who less about the item than they do the unique digital “certificate of authenticity” (not that those are particularly valuable, either).

2 Likes

Yes, 17 TB of stills from Pulp Fiction and pictures of crumpled candy wrappers.

3 Likes

Throw it on someone else’s blockchain.

3 Likes

the first nft was based on off the shelf tech that embedded the url in the block chain seed. so i don’t think there’s any technical limitation against miniting multiple nfts of the same thing on the same service - just policy.

and humorously: you could always add a query string “?..” to the url to make it look unique if you wanted, but still be the same resource

it’s the images that the nft point to. it doesn’t have much value except curiosity and showing that you can have all the data that the “owners” of the nfts have.

now if someone had made an nft representing all the nfts…

having the nft doesn’t give you copyright. ( of course, sometimes having a professional photograph doesn’t necessarily give you copyright either so far as i understand… )

everything about nfts makes me sad.

when americans first realized climate change might be an issue, everyone went out and bought suvs. now, when we know it will be an issue, and catastrophic: bitcoin and nfts become the “in” thing. could we all just stop already?

7 Likes

I just assumed there had to be something that all the assertions about scarcity and digital rights management were based on, given all the many and obvious holes, but more fool me… LOL. It really is just a big pile of lies.

More like: all the time, unless the photograph was taken in the first place under a “work for hire” contract. When buying art, even if it’s a unique painting or sculpture, the artist retains copyright, normally. If you’re simply buying a print (e.g. a photograph), the artist will always be retaining exclusive copyright. You just own the object itself, as an object.

It’s kind of hilarious how, with NFTs, buyers are assuming all sorts of rights to the associated file that they don’t have, at all. Rights they wouldn’t have if they owned a physical object, and which they certainly don’t have with an NFT. They think the NFT gives them rights, when it actually gives them nothing at all.

6 Likes

Did you also catch the small NFT bro’s vs furry war:

Best quote from another fur friend talking about this:

“You can’t prove ownership without the blockchain, so I’m going to take all this art and pretend I own it by putting it on the blockchain, therefore everyone just agrees that I own it.”

4 Likes

Curation might make the file itself meaningful, but there is nothing inherently meaningful or valuable with NFTs: it’s pure grift all the way down. (That sometimes people manage to make some money out of memes that they have featured in just means that sometimes a big enough grift accidentally rewards good (or at least innocent in this case) people.

All this dump did was prove that point. Information is valuable. An NFT is just a claim that a particular organisation of bits belongs to you, with no actual ownership rights. There is no information there.

3 Likes

I should say the curation itself would have value. Although meaning is, in some sense, valuable, unlike NFTs.

Yep, that’s the crux, isn’t it.

2 Likes

my read is that buying and selling an nft is performance art. it’s your chance to see a show and tell a story about something that happened.

not dissimilar to people who pay to level up in a mmo - a chance to participate in something they admire or are curious about

our society isn’t very healthy, so people extract what value they can while they can. maybe there’s not no value ( or information ) in nfts, but there’s better value out there if people stop settling for the local minima

1 Like