Download these free D&D character sheets designed to help players with dyslexia

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/07/03/download-these-free-dd-charac.html

3 Likes

The “Dyslexie” might be a good choice for something like this, even more so than Comic Sans.

https://www.dyslexiefont.com/en/typeface/

1 Like

That’s interesting… is comic sans easier for people with dyslexia to read?

johnny-carson-did-not-know-that

1 Like

Slightly pedantic but Comic Sans was designed to be legible moreso than readable.

For the many unfamiliar with the distinction: legibility is about how well letters can be differentiated from each other, while readability has to do with the ease of viewing long stretches of the type.

I won’t give the guy too much grief for using Comic Sans in this case (although there are plenty other highly legible options). I’m not quite clear on why the Hit Dice icon looks like a roll of toilet paper though.

3 Likes

It’s a rolled up bandage.

best option would be to give a bunch of designs to dyslexics and see which ones they prefer instead of blindly adopting a typeface which promises to solve all your problems.

Tried these out, wish they color coded the skills and various other stats to match the base stat, like green for AC, Initiative, and the Dex skills.

We did. While creating the sheet We tryed several fonts and found that comic sans worked the best for me, our group and my DMs groups. The sheets where originally for my group and my DMs friends. We never expected it to explode and we also have admited we had no intention of it sounding like a cure all. We have also learned since the sheets have exploded in popularity and added a editable version so people can change the font type to fit their needs.

5 Likes

We chose comic sans because it was what worked the best for Me. then while testing it with other players we found that it worked for them as well. We have varyious levels of dyslexia and learning disorders that makes it difficult to use many fonts. As you said Comic sans is Legible which for me makes it easyer to read and remeber, and the Hit dice is a roll of bandages. When we got permission for the icons we never questioned it untill others started asking.

4 Likes

There’s no scientific consensus here, but some find it easier to read. The letters are mostly unique and un-uniform which some say can make it easier to read. It’s also ubiquitous which is a plus.

ETA I’m not dyslexic so I’m far from an expert, but I have family that is.

1 Like

It’s better than most fonts, but not without it’s problems.There are better fonts for dyslexics, but Comic Sans can be relied on to be available to use when the others aren’t.

I personally use Lexie Readable, but Dyslexie (mentioned above by @girard) and OpenDyslexic are other options.

3 Likes

Cool! I’m glad that people are making fonts that are helpful for people with dyslexia. It seems a simple way to be inclusive.

3 Likes

Thank you so much for sharing out sheets. It blows our minds that a small project we made to help me play has reached so many. its amazing seeing peoples reponses and insight on the sheets. Im happy people like it enough to make articles about it. and its been helping me learn how to improve on stuff like this!

4 Likes

Yes. It’s one of the most common fonts that is.

Plus, you can annoy all the right people.

Personally I’ve had a decades long vendetta against Times New Roman, I think I’m winning finally. I can’t read it. I hate it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.